advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement

MAJOR Operation from C2 to T3

Comments

• LovetrotravelLLovetrotravel Posts: 296
    edited 05/04/2014 - 7:07 AM
    I forgot to say that mine were cervical fusions...lol....But I agree, I wouldn't have done it with any other Neurosurgeon as they are some of the best! And as I mentioned, thankfully the BMP is one of the reasons that this last fusion has lasted so long and held up so well. (since 2006.) This is why it's so important for people to get 2nd and 3rd opinions and research everything they are told by a Neurosurgeon before ever attempting these types of surgeries. I'm sorry that BMP has not worked well for some folks.

The great news is that they (the medical community) is out there trying to develop new and better ways to address spine problems. I watched a tv show a few months ago about a Spine place in TX where a Dr. has developed a product that is made from biologic material. It turns into a "gel" that is so much more like our regular discs so it can keep the neck mobile which is so much better than bone that they use now.

And then for us cervical folks, there was just a story about a Neurosurgeon at EDITED that has developed a new disc material but out of other types of metal like cobalt and chromium along with titanium. Is it called the EDITED device and it was used for a two-level cervical fusion. They only have to use this device and not add in any screws, cage or plating. You can research the article by typing in the info I have mentioned.

I think there is always risk in trials and new products but for some of us, we've been through all the regular options and are ready to try something new. Of course I want there to be sufficient research and standards met but just like with any new medication, it's hard to judge long term side effects until it's been used.

Post edited to remove medical facility name

Post edited by Sandi- Please see the forum rules at the link below for more information.

You agree not to post specific physician names or health care facilities , devices or product names on Spine-Health.com.
  • It is now almost 6 months since I had the above very lengthy operation and I am now beginning to feel more upright. However the neck muscles are not behaving and keep going into spasm mode particularly if I look upwards. Is there anything apart from light exercise that I can do to alleviate this problem? Shaving with an electric razor takes almost 30 minutes and I have to stop and rest often because of the pain. I am on Gabapentin 300mg 3 times a day but was on 600mg which was making me feel very lethargic! My Surgeon's appointment is towards the end of July when I had hoped to feel better than I do right now.

Have sent you a PM, Carrie.

• advertisement
  • I am sorry to report that my neck pain/spasms are worse than ever. When I attempt to raise my head when I am shaving the spasms become very bad and end up giving me a severe headache. Sleeping is dreadful and I usually end up in the morning feeling very tired. My pain relief is gabapentin but now they seem to be having little effect. May have to go back to see my GP and seek some more effective relief. My Neurosurgeon said it would be some 12 months before I began to feel normal again. If there are others out there who have had this operation I would be most interested in seeing if they have similar problems to mine. I see my Surgeon at end of July so hope he can come up with a solution to all the spasms I am getting.

I live across the pond in UK and my Surgeon is very highly acclaimed throughout Europe.

Alistair.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,109
    After trying every muscle relaxer known to man nothing worked, /when my mother passed away the Dr started me out in Xanax but I couldn't handle the hang over effect so she switched to Valium. Miracle drug for me. Keeps the spasms away
    Susan
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.