advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

2 months post op losing hope

Comments

• I had ALIF L5-S1 over two years ago and they said it can take 18-24 months for the nerves to heal. They have been compressed and aggravated for a long time and nothing is happening fast in recovery. That said, it's also possible htat the damage is permanent. Mine is. Dr said we waited too long and now the damage is done. The surgery helped the back pain some but the nerve pain got progressively worse ending up with a Spinal Cord Stimulator two years later. SCS has been a welcome addition and although it helped tremendously at first it has graudlaly lessened. STILL, 70% relief is welcome and anything greater than 50% is called a success. I am still grateful for the SCS solution.
    Patience and follow the suggestions for recovery are the only things you can do for now.
  • Carl OswaldCCarl Oswald Posts: 64
    edited 02/04/2014 - 4:23 AM
    It is very very difficult for active, athletic people to just "turn it off" for an extended period of time while we recover from spine surgery.. But, from my own personal experience, you MUST "turn it off" for a while.. Do exactly what the Neuro and Therapist tell you and nothing more... I lifted a bucket of water about two months ago, stumbled, and fell.. didn't feel to much pain or injure anything, I thought.. And, I just picked up and moved on.. seemed like no harm no fowl.. Well, in the past few weeks I have totally relapsed with the Neuropathy, partial paralysis, cramping, and pain in my legs and back... I can barely stand or walk... Had my six month follow up yesterday.. Neuro says he is surprised at my lack of progress and that I should be playing golf, jogging, whatever....He ordered another MRI to see what the heck is going on.. Back to square one... I am so freakin frustrated I could just spit nails.. Moral of the story, spinal injuries and problems are nothing to fool around with.. Turn off the endorfins until you're completely healed and don't try to do too much too early.. Good luck.
    carl
  • advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.