advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Transforaminal Epidural (Lumbar)

Comments

• Today's Friday and I had the injection on Tuesday afternoon.

The other day, the swelling and pain came back pretty quick after I made my last post.

Yesterday I struggled with severe depression and some psychotic symptoms.

Today my pain in my left side is worse than it was the day after the injection, when I called out from work. I am here today because I don't want to miss another day, but I am absolutely miserable.

At this rate, I will never let them do another one of these injections on me. I will make do with Advil, Neurontin, and PT. This is crazy.

I just hope these are initial side effects and they wear off soon, and that I won't be miserable for months while the injection wears off completely...

I had such hopes for this, but right now, I feel horrid. And sorry I let them do this to me.

I don't want to scare anyone off, this is just my experience. I just wonder whether anyone can commisserate.

I *heart* my TENS unit.
  • The pain is better today, about a 4, and the swelling is reduced again. I used my TENS last night hoping to get some relief from everything.

A co-worker told me yesterday that she's heard if it hurts that bad for days after an injection, it means they found your pain generator. If that's true, they sure did! Anyone know if that's true?

I *heart* my TENS unit.
  • advertisement
  • I had my first injection Monday afternoon for a L5-S1 disc herniation. The procedure itself wasn't too bad. My sciatic pain was a little better the first night but I had terrible insommnia. I spent the following day resting and really didn't need pain meds but took anyway to stay on top of it. I was able to sleep through the night Tuesday (the 1st time in weeks). I woke up Wednesday in pain that got progressively worse through the work day. Almost unbearable by evening and I could hardly walk but started to lessen after taking pain meds and icing. Woke up Thursday feeling a little better. I had the day off, so I rested as much as I could with a 20 month old and 4 year old. Friday the pain was pretty bad in the morning and got very bad by early afternoon. It felt like my entire left leg was on fire and my low back throbbed. I was unable to stand upright and startedhaving drop foot. I was up most of the night unable to get much relief. As of this morning, I started using a crutch or cane to get around because my left leg and foot hurt so bad. I have been icing every couple hours and taking pain meds. Pain has subsided a little when I lay on my side but it is escruciating when I stand. I was able to walk a short distance without the cane/crutch the last time I was up! I'm hoping this is the flare up before getting better I have been reading about. The Dr. said if the pain hasn't improved by Monday, he will do another injection next week. Not sure I want go through all this again though!
  • you're going through this too. I'm just now finally getting some decent pain relief that lasts, though my left side is still really heavy-feeling.

It certainly takes a lot of commitment to make it through those rough first few days! Two or three days, my butt, it's been five. lol

I *heart* my TENS unit.
  • My left leg and foot are still very sore. I didn't sleep much last night but this morning I could at least walk short distances without the cane/crutch. I'm much more comfortable laying down and have been trying to do some light stretches. Hoping the pain peaked and now it will only get better! Just wish I could stand up straight when I walk. I have an important meeting at work tomorrow I don't want to miss. Keep me posted on your progress.
  • advertisement
  • I had a really good pain week, I was only in the 2-4 range. I'd forgotten what a 2 feels like, thank goodness for relief. I'm still working my PT daily but the injection seems to have done a lot after the initial hell I went through.

Been wondering how you're doing so thought I would post to this thread and see if you look here.

I *heart* my TENS unit.
  • I had a 2nd injection last Tuesday. The flare up pain I had after was the worst pain I have ever experienced and I have given birth seven times with no epidurals. We almost ended up calling an ambulance but I was able to get myself to the floor and lay there for a couple hours until the pain subsided enough to crawl back to bed. By 10 am Wednesday I was almost completely pain free! After about 3 hours the tingling and numbness came back a bit but nothing like it was before the injections. It's been a week now since the injection and my pain is anywhere from a 1-4, depending on my level of activity. I will be starting PT this week. I am still nursing my son and my provider would like me stop so I can try a medication along with the PT. I am not willing to do this right now since my pain has improved so much. I agreed to try the PT for 1 month and if there is not improvement or things get worse, then we will discuss me stopping nursing and adding the medication. In the mean time I will be researching if there are medications compatible with breastfeeding. It sure has been a rollercoaster ride these past few weeks. I hope all is going well for you.
  • Hi I had that injection today . I'll let you know in a few days if it helped . Had l4 l5 microdiscectomy almost 3 months ago. L5 seems somewhat better . L4 difficult to get at and didn't want fusion cause I'm too young . 52 but still too young . I'm rinoguy text me back I mean leave a response if u like
    James rinaldi
  • DIUlinDDIUlin Posts: 1
    edited 10/01/2015 - 10:40 PM
    jessie and schmooey (not sure if i spelled those right),

thank you so much for your postings from a year and a half ago. i don't know if you'll see this, but i'd love to hear how things went from there. did the epidural do the trick? that was a s1 epidural, right? my doctors disagree on whether it is an annular tear at l5-s1 or a facet problem, and so i'm trying to figure out which to try first.

thanks again,

don

welcome to spine-health
    please click on link for helpful information!
    ~ spine-health moderator, savage
  • mowens54mmowens54 Wisconsin Posts: 1
    This is a much later posting but I had this done two days ago. I had the 4 (2 on each side) facet joint injections 6 weeks ago for my low back pain and I am still getting relief. However the 2 for this type was suppose to help my tingling & numbing in my feet but has not relived me yet. No side effects but I was told it would be easier as far as pain. It hurt like #€%#¥*!! When my doctor was trying to position the steroid injections into the right place. They used an X-ray camera and in each side kept saying "picture  please" and then move it he needle on the nerve!  I don't have pain down my leg like sciatica so no success and can only get relief when taking gabapentin at night which lasts I til mid morning and then I don't want to take it during day when I work because of drowsiness. Hope this helps. 
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.