advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement

8 weeks post laminectomy

Hi I am new here, I have been reading all these great posts. Trying to search for any information,. I hope this is not a silly question.

8 weeks ago I had a laminectomy on l5/S1. While it has fixed the leg paralysis and the drop foot seemed to improve very quickly I am having a problem. The nerve was aggravated for many many weeks post op though that has calmed down to a dull roar :)
At my 2 week post op appointment my doctor did not feel I needed PT and just told me to walk. He said I was doing much better than he had expected. So, I have been walking a couple of times a day.
I try to vary routine between sitting, standing, walking, resting.

In the morning when I wake my low back is very stiff and painful
Is this normal?

Thank you
8/31/15 microdiscetomy laminotomy
8/15 reruptured l5
12/24/13 laminotomy/discetomy of L5
9/98 laminectomy l4/l5
advertisement

Comments

• Im 4 mo post the same surgery, Same disk as well and mine didnt go nearly as well. Its been 4mos and I can barely walk and live in severe pain. You are VERY blessed
  • I really appreciate your information. I was worried about the stiffness in the low back. I guess I have let other peoples impressions make me feel that I am not healing fast enough.
    Bless you
    D
    8/15 reruptured l5
    9/98 laminectomy l4/l5
  • advertisement
  • KBambiKKBambi Posts: 17
    edited 02/28/2014 - 12:02 AM
    Doreen2 said:
    I really appreciate your information. I was worried about the stiffness in the low back. I guess I have let other peoples impressions make me feel that I am not healing fast enough.
    Bless you
    D
    I will add, try to get PT to let you do hydro therapy, I hear it REALLY helps. I start Monday. I didnt start earlier because of pain but if you can do it ASAP I hear recovery is better. Good luck!!
  • Thank you again, I am so sorry you are having problems. About 15 years ago I had a laminectomy l4/l5, the sciatic pain continued for about 6 months after the surgery. My surgeon told me that the sciatic nerve heals 1 mm a day (I think it was mm) . I figured it would be about 6 months give or take, I told him if it did not improve I would be back. I never saw him again.
    What does your doctor say? I am so sorry that I thought I was not doing well. Thank you for letting me know I am :)
    Bless you
    8/15 reruptured l5
    9/98 laminectomy l4/l5
  • Doreen2 said:
    Thank you again, I am so sorry you are having problems. About 15 years ago I had a laminectomy l4/l5, the sciatic pain continued for about 6 months after the surgery. My surgeon told me that the sciatic nerve heals 1 mm a day (I think it was mm) . I figured it would be about 6 months give or take, I told him if it did not improve I would be back. I never saw him again.
    What does your doctor say? I am so sorry that I thought I was not doing well. Thank you for letting me know I am :)
    Bless you

Up to a year. It seems so long and far away, and a huge IF it heals at this time though. I work on my feet, always have so working right now is out. Thank God my employer has excellent benefits and I am on short term disability with the possibility of it going to long term for up to 2yrs after 26 weeks which I am guessing I will probably have to do. But this sitting at home, all day...ugh. I am doing some crafting, starting to sell on Ebay but its slow going as I cant sit long and pain kills my attention span a lot. No seriously it sounds like you are doing much better than I am and THAT is a blessing!!!!
  • advertisement
  • KeonaKKeona Posts: 8
    edited 03/02/2014 - 5:51 AM
    I am 5.5mos post op for microdiscectomy at l5/s1. I was told to walk lots and didn't get sent to PT until week 7. I was pain free up until week 5 and now I am back where I started. Pain and misery. Recent ct shows changes to the other side of the disk, so back to the drawing board........
  • Hello I am so sorry to hear, I hate to hear that there are more problems. I am sure there are others on here who have had similar problems. Maybe you could post again to get support from people who have been there. I have read of others who had to have more surgery after the first and they seem to be doing well now. Not that is is much help but it is a comfort when you are going through and can find help to get tips from other people. Take care, I hope you can find some help.
    D
    8/15 reruptured l5
    9/98 laminectomy l4/l5
  • How long were you hurting before the surgery? I am not a doctor but have heard that can effect how long it takes to heal. Before my first laminectomy 15 years ago I was in a lot of pain for 8 months before anyone thought to do an MRI.
    I think that is why it took me so long to recover.
    This time it was a month before I was in agony so a much shorter time, maybe that is why I am doing better. I still have bad days when I might do to much but most days I am glad I had the surgery.
    Take care, chat back when you feel up to it.
    8/15 reruptured l5
    9/98 laminectomy l4/l5
  • Hi everyone. I had a laminectomy at the l5/s1 level about 8 weeks ago. My leg feels great but I have a new pain in my back and right glute. My doctor told me he doesn't know what is going on which has my wife and I a little concerned. I am having to leave work everyday at 1:30 P.M. or so due to the pain. Does anyone have and ideas what this could be? Also, has anyone found any medications that they were able to take during the day without feeling tired or loopy? My doctor has me on Percocet but I can't take them at work and by the time I'm off its too late and I can't catch up with the pain. Thanks for any info or ideas.
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.