advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. On June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums moved to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

ACDF C5-C7

Help!! I had surgery 8 days ago!! I am in so much pain.. I thought for a few days it might had been getting a little better. However, I.'m sure that was the morphine they sent me home with!! I want my pain pump back and even though it's only been a week. My symptoms seem to be getting worse!!

Has anyone experienced the intense pain after surgery? If so, when will I stop crying!! Lol

Not to mention, I have been a shut in and am anxious . To get back to work!! Not sure why, as I have never been out of work and my brain has as stopped working!
Karin Brownlee
advertisement

Comments

• Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!
    Karin Brownlee
  • LizLiz Posts: 9,709

Liz, 

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • advertisement
  • Karin, yes I have experienced the intense pain you describe after surgery-mine was C4, C5 & C6. Yes, it does get better. Just make sure you follow every single piece of advice your surgeon gave you to ensure that you heal properly and do not damage what he has done. Are you wearing your collar? Make sure you use it as he told you. You mention you are a shut in...Is there noone that you can ask to come and stay with you to help you or at least someone that can come in and check on you or call to see if you need anything as I know you can not drive right now (please do not drive) I couldnt drive for 6 weeks if memory serves me correctly.

There is a list of things on here that mentions several items that you should have handy to help you through post surgery. Just do a search in the box at the top of the page that says "search" I wish I had of known about this list before I had my surgery. One thing that I do remember that I used that helped me so much was bendy straws, as I could not raise my head. Another thing was I found it impossible to sleep in my bed so I resorted to sleeping in my recliner (you will have to be a little creative in getting back out of it but you will develope a system in no time) Another thing was silky sheets or silky pj's, it will make it easier to slide out of bed if you choose to try sleeping in ur bed ( I didn't know about this idea after my surgery but it makes sense to me, wish I had of thought of it) If you don't have these maybe you could ask someone to go get u some.

Again, make sure you follow your surgeons advice on what you can and can't do. I did fuse and heal and today my neck is perfectly fine-the pain you are having now does subside. Hang in there, Karin, one day at a time---even one minute at a time if necessary. It DOES get better :-)
  • I understand being a shut in WHEN MY VERTEBRAE COLLAPSED TO WERE THE RIGHT SIDE OF C2,WAS PHYSICALLY TOUCHING THE RIGHT SIDE OF C5(HEMI VERTEBRAE AT C3 AND C4 CAUSING FULL COLLAPSE) I BECAME A HOME BODY ALSO I COULDNT GET OUT MUCH DUE TO PAIN AND DANGER OF THE SMALLEST FALL...I HOPE YOU PAIN GETS BETTER SOOON.IF NOT PLEASE SEE YOUR DOCTOR,FOR HELP.I can only speak to my exp...I still have questions myself...
    C2,C3,C4,C5,C6,C7 T1,T2,T3,T4,T5 ALL FUSED AND C4,C6,T1 REMOVED AND REPLACED WITH CAGES
  • I was told by my NS that depending on how long the nerve has been pinched if you have nerve damage. I had my surgery 2.5 weeks ago and what i noticed is to be on top of taking your medications and not skip it. You have to take it religiously same time every 4 hours. My NS has started weaning me off the medications yesterday and its working.
  • advertisement
  • Big Daddy JimBBig Daddy Jim Posts: 10
    edited 03/31/2014 - 12:40 PM
    Karin - This is my story and I'm sticking to it. Let's start from the beginning, okay maybe not long ago. Anyway had pain radiating from the left side of neck all the way my left arm - it was horrific. Went to a Ortho Surgeon and he set me up with an epidural. WORKED GREAT for 3 months, then back with a vengeance. So, when I went to see him in 3 months he gave me the option - epidural or surgery. Ha, the choice was an easy one Surgery. The surgery was an absolute success and woke up with my "dog cone of shame" around my neck. I was so thrilled that I almost danced out of the hospital. Of course I was feeling good, I had morphine, muscle relaxers, anesthetic and who knows whatever else they threw in the tubes to make me feel good. About 3 days later, while at home, I felt it - the worst pain that I have ever experienced in my entire life. Although he corrected one issue, he created another. He damaged a nerve midway down the right side of my back. This was in 9/21/06. From the end of September until the end of February I lived (well sort) with this horrible pain on a 24/7 basis. I just wanted him to go back in and redo everything, but of course he couldn't due to which nerve would he try and fix. Of course, I know that now. I would wake up each and every night banging my shoulder up against the wall or tossing and turning, or screaming, or doing things that no human being should do (well not that bad). Every time I called his office they would just prescribe me with another "drug". From Dilaudid to Oxycodone, to muscle relaxers, to codeine, to steroids (geez, I'm not a major league baseball player), and the list went on. I asked to be put back into the hospital so that they could take care of it. Myself and my wife kept getting put off on this subject, until one morning while in tears I called and stated "no wonder people in this type of pain commits suicide". THAT DID IT!! ER happily opened their doors. Although in ER for 10 hours (MRIs, trying to contain the pain, etc), the problem subsided. To this date every now and then I feel that slight area pain but it's almost like someone pressed their finger into your back. I can deal with that once a month. Sorry for making this so long, but I just wanted to let you know if it is nerve pain that you are now experiencing after the surgery, I can tell you that eventually it WILL go away - hence, the word eventually.

In addition, what Bernie N said is absolutely correct. Gotta keep that pain in check.
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.