advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Starting to wonder if I even need narcotic pain meds anymore

Comments

• LC84LLC84 Posts: 593
    edited 04/07/2014 - 3:31 PM
    I appreciate the advice. I don't always sleep through the night. Sometimes I do, but it's common for me to be up every couple of hours or so. I usually plan my meds to take them before I go to sleep so I can at least try and be well rested. Unfortunately that's not always the case. I haven't asked about any sleep aids, but I really don't want to take on any additional meds until I get through the transition from Lyrica to Neurontin.
    Progressive DDD
    Osteoarthritis
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
    Discectomy, Laminotomy/Foraminotomy L3-S1 January 2014
    Bilateral SI Joint Fusion and 2 level spinal Fusion October 2014
  • The fact that your pain has worsened lately and now your meds aren't helping as much sounds more like tolerance than you not needing the med anymore. I'm in the same situation. My pain got worse and my med is making only a very small difference now. Maybe you could ask your doc about a long-acting med. I have heard they are better for chronic pain because one does not build a tolerance as easily. Don't ask me how that works.
  • advertisement
  • LC84LLC84 Posts: 593
    edited 04/07/2014 - 5:26 PM
    I currently get my pain meds from my PCP but I'm in the process of finding the right PM Doc. I have a really good relationship with my PCP. I have an appointment this week and planned on discussing options including what I should be taking in the meantime for proper pain control. My pain has worsened since my last visit so I'll see what he recommends.
    Progressive DDD
    Osteoarthritis
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
  • So my PCP thinks I should continue the Percocet at this point until I find the right PM that may to want to adjust what I'm taking. I suppose the little bit of relief I can get from it is better than nothing. He also started Celebrex to see if that may help with inflammation since other NSAIDS I have tried ( Meloxicam and ibuprofen) haven't really helped. I'm hoping the increase in Gabapentin will help more than anything. The Valium really helps with my spasms but my Surgeon seems apprehensive to continue it long term. Skelaxin didn't help in the past so he may decide to try something else. I'm still figuring out the right mix of meds to provide me the most relief.
    Progressive DDD
    Osteoarthritis
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
  • dilauroddilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,303
    Many doctors are not going to want to prescribe Valium for a long time. It can be very addicting. There are so many good muscle relaxers out in the market. Some of them ,
    • - Flexeril - Knocked me out and felt I was drunk the following day- Soma - Works well, can be addicting- Zanaflex - Very good, but at times I could be half a zombie- Baclofen - Very effective, dosage can be played with. (my choice, also what I am taking now)
  • advertisement
  • The Valium has helped with the spams without making me feel zombie like or strange which is why I like it. I understand why he wouldn't want to continue it long term. It's unfortunate that it can be addicting because it helps me with no side effects. Maybe another one will be just as effective. I appreciate the information, it's very helpful.
    Progressive DDD
    Osteoarthritis
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
  • My surgeon wants me to try Flexeril- Since everyone is different I hope I don't have the same symptoms you did.
    Progressive DDD
    Osteoarthritis
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
  • I've been taking Tizanidine for about 4 years without any problems but I think I might be getting a little tolerant. ;-(
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    We can't always control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we play the hand
  • I've always been told to take my muscle relaxants consistently because they work better when the medication has built-up in our systems. Maybe someone with more medical knowledge can answer...

I get far better pain control with both muscle relaxants & narcotics. Either alone doesn't help as much.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.