advertisement

In this Discussion

There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement
New members: Please read our Code of Conduct before submitting your first post.
Learn how to use the Veritas Health Forum: Take the System Tutorial

3rd fusion

Names Dave, in the past 8 years I have had 3 spinal fusions L-3,L4 &S1. None have took. Most recent was Jan 29 2014. Now it's March 8 and the pain is getting worse. Have a follow up tomorrow. No questions or concerns with the pain, it's a way of life anymore. I am wanting to know if anyone else has had fusions that have not healed ?
advertisement

Comments

• Yes I did smoke. My surgeon would not do this last fusion if I still smoked. I quit 6 weeks prior to surgery. No NSAIDS. As far as talking with my surgeon, I have an appt. with him this afternoon. I have used the same surgeon in the last 2 fusions. He used synthetics the last time as did the first surgeon. This last one he used bone from my hip. I was hopeful after this last on. I have followed everything he has said to do and am getting frustrated. My initial injury was when I was 26. Now I am 45. I have been off work for 6 months now because of the pain. I could always work through it before. As I am getting older it's getting harder to do. I hope he has some answers today.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • advertisement
  • I do use the bone growth stimulator and a brace as well. Not sure if they are doing anything. I guess time will tell. I am glad I found this site. I don't feel as alone I did knowing others are in the same boat. I got the name boatdude building boats in Florida.
    I did go to the Dr. today to see if he could figure out why I am having so much pain. He took x-rays, took a quick look at them and said everything looked fine. Prescribed a steroid pack and a muscle relaxant. Also want's me to start physical therapy. Was not happy at all about todays visit. Not even my surgeon. They said he was out and one of the partners saw me. Figured it couldn't hurt having a fresh set of eyes on the problem. What a waste of time. I wanted answers not meds. Any way thanks for letting me rant.
Sign In or Join Us to comment.