advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Scared of going under

OK so maybe a month ago I contacted LSI to see if I qualified. I did the free MRI review and found out I have four conditions on L5. They said I was a prime candidate and I was happy not to be refused. So on June 23 I make my way to Florida for surgery. Here's the problem. I've never had surgery and the realization has hit me. I'm 25 and ......since I have had kids... Have gotten that scared as hell feeling like my world is changing. Its on my mind all day and I think I'm freaking myself out. If anyone got any good tips or help I'm all ears. If you were wondering I've been diagnosed with bulging/herniated disc stenosis fimonary spine and degenerative disc disease. Also what should I do in the time to come to better prepare myself for this journey?
Tpike88
advertisement

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    We can't always control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we play the hand
  • PaulPPaul Posts: 713
    edited 04/14/2014 - 9:07 PM
    You'd be wise to do due diligence research on that place before you go.

Try to arm yourself with knowledge. This is key. That way, the fear of the unknown is reduced. knowledge about the spine, the discs, the nerves, the body, the surgical propositions, the non-surgical treatments, recovery, life after surgery.

Still, it's natural and healthy to be freaked out. It's a big deal! For instance, before my first back surgery, I just about canceled at the last second. It was the pre-op and I was freaked out. I kid you not; I was going to crawl (I was unable to walk at the time) out of the place on my hands and knees in a hospital gown!

Finally at one point, I gave in and said "Screw it. Let's just get this over with. I've done my homework on this guy and on the procedure, if it works, it works. If it doesn't, I gave it a shot." I let go and placed my faith and trust in the surgeon and the technique.

Well, as it turns out, everything went ok and although there have been a few minor issues, I am doing good.

But again, try to research as much as you can. Read articles, watch youtube videos of the procedure, ask other previous back surgery patients, interview back surgeons, compile a list of questions in a notepad, keep a diary of the answers. Don't be pressured into surgery and be a little suspicious of people that promise you results or make it seem like it's no big deal or are very eager to get your $$$ or want to get you in so they can get your $$$ and get you out.
    -----------------------------
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • advertisement
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,109
    When they told me to start counting backwards i think i got to 99 and was out. Lol. After 8 spine surgeries Im used to it and believe it or not the last few have not been nervous a bit. I didnt need a sedative to calm me down for surgery, i needed the sedative from my fathers driving me to the hospital. Good lord that man has no business driving anymore. Horrible thing to say but i couldnt wait to be put under, no pain then. As Paul said do your research so you have better knowledge of what to expect. Before, during and after. Good luck
    Susan
  • Just had spinal fusion on Sat & I was exactly the same, in fact I was in such a state crying & shaking they had to calm me down before I went I

Honestly if I'd known how gentle and un-traumatic it was I'd never have gotten so stressed. This is a big deal for us, but a routine occurance for them - have faith & let them do their jobs... Good luck!
    Mini- TILF L5-S1 April 12th 2014
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.