advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Being Patient

Well, this post is to vent, and to have others get out their frustrations with the medical field. And hopefully some one has advice.
Dealing with chronic is hard enough without having to throw in the everyday (yes, literally everyday) problems with the doctors, nurses, insurance, pharmacy, and other issues that I can't even believe have come up. I've lost enough.I am in constant pain and have so many issues with everyday tasks that I can't even work.
What is prompting this is my experience today at an appointment for an MRI. My doctor's office set up the appointment, and also made arrangements to have a rep from the medical company that manufactures my pain pump. Well, they were SUPPOSED to do this, but they didn't. The MRI tech stated that I was supposed to go to my doctor, and I told her no, a rep is supposed to be here to reset the pump. Really, an absolutely needed step, due to the MRI possibly altering the rate that someone gets their pain meds at. As in, if it altered by the MRI it can deliver an overdose to the patient. After I call my doctor (on my cell phone, because the MRI tech was looking up the same information about the pain pump I just told her) they tell me I will have to reschedule the MRI, and hearing this, the MRI tech request my phone, and talks with the nurse insisting that I need to go their office and I can have the MRI today. So, after they get off the phone, the MRI tells me I need to reschedule the appointment, call my doctor's office, and call the med rep company. You know the expression "straw that broke the camel's back"? I stated no, I am done. This is an issue that your office needs to work out with the other office. I am a patient, and I am at a barely functioning level. And then it stopped-others were finally helping me.
I have some amazing doctors and nurses. I don't know how they do what they did while caring for me. People going above and beyond- I am not saying the medical field itself is awful. I'm saying that I kept running into the few bad apples in the bunch, which is going to happen due to all the doctors I have had to see.
One last thing- please don't put any judgments about anything I wrote in here. I don't need to hear that I handled something badly. I need help, not another issue to deal with.
2000- spinal fusion, complete spine due to scoliosis
2012- pain began, started treatment for chronic pain
2013- install of pain pump, procedures to address complications
2014-blood patch, spinal fluid leak
advertisement

Comments

• Yes, I know. It has just increased due to adding more doctors, testing, therapy,etc. I usually check everything, but this I didn't even think to. Maybe we can become event planners. ;)
    2000- spinal fusion, complete spine due to scoliosis
    2012- pain began, started treatment for chronic pain
    2013- install of pain pump, procedures to address complications
    2014-blood patch, spinal fluid leak
  • Being a patient, I just get excited when I get a whole month that I'm appointment free!!!! I hate being a patient, I wonder if it's too late to get another starring role in life???
  • advertisement
  • Great idea Taren! We could start a spiney 'Cirque du Soleil', The Slowest Show on Earth! Maybe a rousing Stomp rendition with our walking canes! Jon would be our stand up comedian & male model & we could produce all the artwork!
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • Lol, GREAT IDEA, English, I'm on board!!! I could sketch some pictures of Jon so he has some pictures to autograph for his many adoring fans ;-) Maybe the "rousing stomp" could be a version of a rain dance--spiney's w/canes dancing in the rain!!! "Cirque de Soleil" it is!!!
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.