advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. On June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums moved to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

RFA failure or part of the process??

Comments

• So is it possible that mine weren't done properly because I was knocked out. My physical reaction to pain could be the reason they didn't want to do it with me conscious but does it mean they were giving it an educated guess?
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • I've had RFA twice. My doctor never asked me a single question during the procedure that was related to the procedure. We actually talked about sports. So I really would doubt that it wasn't done properly just because your doctor knocked you out.

I was pretty sore for a couple weeks afterwards, but not so bad that I couldn't function. Remember that each person is a little different and will recover at different rates. If your pain continues, I'd call your doctor and let him/her know what's going on and what your feeling.

Keep your head up!

Keith
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • advertisement
  • TarenTTaren Posts: 524
    edited 05/06/2014 - 6:57 AM
    EnglishGirl said:
    So is it possible that mine weren't done properly because I was knocked out. My physical reaction to pain could be the reason they didn't want to do it with me conscious but does it mean they were giving it an educated guess?

No, English, I can't say yours were not done properly because you were knocked out. I was wide awake though, lidocaine was used to numb my area. My dr did, unlike EMS Guy, ask me questions during my procedure, pertaining to my back. He wanted to know if I could feel my muscles twitching when he did something? (I could not tell what he was doing since I was laying on my stomach) He also wanted to know if I could feel a tingling sensation & how far down my leg I could feel it? I'm assuming these questions were asked to verify the correct nerves that were causing the problems. He would also ask me if the procedure was becoming to painful to proceed, if so, at this time he would stop and inject more lidocaine. But if you were knocked out there would have been no need to ask you this question :-)

The subject of sports or related topics never came up "during" my procedure, once the dr came in it all became a very professional atmosphere (which I prefer) Some of the nurses and I did, however, laugh a bit about of all things disco music then after it was all over, my dr told us he was a fan of disco music and laughed a bit and he was gone until he came back into the recovery room to check on me. ;-)
  • DerridaDDerrida Cleveland OhioPosts: 2
    I've had RFA 5 times. 2 very successful. Two mildly successful about 50% or so. And just recently nonsuccessful and it's been 4 and 1/2 weeks. None of them were all that painful except one where the doc injected the initial numbing anesthetic too fast just like some dentists do. Just tell yours not to do that.  So there may be no need to fear as far as pain goes but I was wondering if anyone thinks there's still a chance the nerves could still die some after 4 and 1/2 weeks or so.
  • My lower right back is a mess.  I did the RFA 4 weeks ago.  I still can’t walk.  My doctor is trying several different meds,but it takes time, and I am I so much pain I could scream.........I do scream because the pain is so bad.  If the combinations of drugs work on me,  I will post them upon this site.  Very disappointed to say the least

• advertisement
  • LizLiz Posts: 9,709

This is a very old discussion so I have to close it

Liz, 

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Join Us to comment.