advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement

Posterior Cervical Foraminotomy (No Fusion) - Long Term Results?

Comments

• lawjaw 1809llawjaw 1809 Posts: 13
    edited 04/15/2015 - 1:21 PM
    February 3,2015 I had C2 to T2 Posterior fusion and clean up of previous fusion of c4-c7. Anterior. Oh so painful. I am in good hands. I take Percocet, 10 mg every 6 hours, Zanaflex plus diazepam and a slew of psychiatric meds. My surgeon knew I'm going to live with pain and had my referral to pain management. Sympathetic and empathetic care. I've resigned to a life of this and. I have filed with attorney for disability. It's at the first appeal due to such a recent surgery records weren't complete. Also I turn 50 on the 27th and that date because of being 50, I guess changes things. I know I can't work with all the meds. Are you in a place you need to file. It's such a long wait. I was surprised when they were already working the appeal. The medical reviewer is the one who said 50 was important. I have my fingers crossed. I just am so stressed out that I have a negative 70 in the bank and will have to move somewhere, probably with my Mom if God directs me there. Tomorrow I am coming up with a possible plan to stay here at least until I get the appeal decision. I have been praying for faith something will happen. Oh well doubt if this helped you in any way except posterior is way more painful than anterior and the spasms just require a person to tap into a good and pleasant pain management doc. Very important because you will see them on an ongoing basis and they need to have your back.
  • I believe I had the same surgery as you 10 months ago now. I also had c3/c4 discectomy and fusion at the same time. I had immediate moderate pain relief (ie there was still some pain but the worst was gone). I tried to become active as soon as possible (walking, for example) and this at time caused the pain to come back to a very unpleasant degree. My physical therapist helped me a great deal by recommending regular stretching of the median nerve. That has taken care of most of the pain and numbness, but I still have some lingering bouts of it (at about 10% of what it was like pre-surgery). The right side of my neck has some movement limitations and that's the next thing I'm going to work on with the PT. I can say recovery has been brutal. I never imagined it would be so difficult. I am hopeful I will feel normal again. I still feel "shaken up" for lack of a better way to put it. I do think overall the procedure can be a success - but it must be understood going in the recovery is brutal and imperfect. I hope this is helpful.
  • advertisement
  • I had last infusion,c5/6 last wk,may 5,im so miserable,cant sleep,cant,walk,cant do anything,pain unbearable,3 surg,an getting worser..bad pain between shoulder blades,had go to er,yesterday,my right limbs went limp..what im doing wrong,i need some relief pleasr
    Wandaneill
  • LisaCBLLisaCB Posts: 2
    edited 05/22/2015 - 2:38 PM
    Hi Kevin, I had a Foraminotomy at C3 in Nov. 2014. Prior to that I had fusion in Feb.2013 at C4-C7. Within 6 weeks of my fusion I started to develop burning nerve pain down my arm and shoulder and up the side of my head/face. The Foraminotomy was to release the nerve and help with the pain. Unfortunately since that procedure things have only gotten worse. I am now looking for more help and running into brick walls.

Sorry my news isn't more encouraging but remember everyone's result is different. My brother had a 2 level cervical fusion in August and he's been playing golf now for 3 months and is 100%.

advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Join Us to comment.