There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Deciding on surgery-L4/L5 PLIF fusion



  • resbrsrresbrs Posts: 7
    edited 01/17/2015 - 4:43 AM
    I'm just like you- also 37, I just have one child who's 10. I just had a 2 level 360 fusion - ALIF plus posterior instrumentation at L4/5, L5/S1 plus an artificial disc replacement above at L3/4. 2 weeks ago on 12/31. I had severe DDD at with 2 prior surgeries on this area (discectomy/laminectomy) I was told fusion was my last option. I put it off for a long time. On a good day, my back was always sore and I was ready to lay down when my husband got home. And I had a lot of leg pain which kept me from doing a lot. But... I could still function and do the things I needed to do. On a bad day, which is a totally unpredictable episode, I cannot get out of bed. One time I drove my son to school and by the time I got home I couldn't even lay down in my bed I was in so much pain my husband had to leave work just to help me get in bed, and this would last 4-5 days and then get better. However... There was so much that "mom can't do". At 37, I finally refused to let that be ok. I decided it was time and I would be ok with the outcome. I had moved and this surgery was with a new doc, a cutting edge kind of guy. I felt very confident about him. I had the MRI then scheduled a discogram. No biggie. I wanted to know exactly which discs were causing the pain. All 3 tested were positive. So I felt confident about it. I would push for this. Why have surgery on something that may not be a pain generator? It was worth the mild pain of the discogram. YES my fear was the areas above and below degenerating with fusion. My surgeon recommended a hybrid for this so that's why I got the artificial disc above the fusion- it allows for movement- and fused below. Insurance was a nightmare- they do not cover- but we pay $2/mo for this "special care" supplement, and they covered! Maybe I am one of the lucky ones, and I am sure my age has something to do with it, but 2.5 weeks out, I am totally off all pain meds, (they made me very sick- I dumped them day 5 post op) and going out for lunch, and Monday will be driving my son to school and starting PT. I do not work- I am mom, so my new job is getting better. And I plan on giving that 100%. Don't get me wrong, the first week was rough- hospital 4 days then home. BUT the pain I have experienced is nothing compared to pain during one of my episodes. I did not have leg pain when I woke up, however about day 10 it started back. At my post op doc said he wasn't concerned since I did not have it when I woke up, could just be bruised or irritated. I am questioning this, but too early to pass judgement. I had family come stay for 2 weeks. There is still so much I cannot do and won't be able to do for a while. But.... At this point it's been totally worth it. I guess it just depends where you are at with regards to pain and frustration, and knowledge that you are making an educated decision with regards to the procedure and doc. Hope this helps....
Sign In or Join Us to comment.