advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

1 Week post op Posterior Cervical Fusion

Comments

• Well, im having some sleep issues due to the "no comfort zone". I purchased the mechanical bed months ago in helps to find relief from first fusion. It works off and on, but finding the "sweet spot" is tough. Thank you all for follow ups as it is uplifting to know people really care.
    Here's to a good fusion :)
  • HannamayeHHannamaye AlabamaPosts: 1
    edited 08/26/2016 - 10:14 AM
    hello everyone,

i have been reading this site for a few weeks now trying to prepare for what was to come. i have the fusion from the front back in dec 2015 but the bottom two didn't heal. so my doctor said we could do a posterior cervical fusion on c6 - c7 and t1. he warned me i would not like him afterwards because of the pain.  well i was in constant pain anyway so why not take the chance and fix this right.

i did some studying and borrowed my daughters hospital bed, very smart move. they teach you to do the log roll, lower your legs than push up with your shoulder, if you have a hospital bed it makes it even easier. my other daughter is an rn and she stayed with me 24/7 for the few days i was in the hospital.  pain was minimum, had to be reminded to push button. not that it didn't hurt of course it did, but i never had the horrible cramping the doctor warned me about. neck muscles get tired but it's only been a week and a half.

i went back into my regular bed the other night and am very happy with that. i take pain meds in morning as i am stiff from lying all night. i do not wake up for meds during the night anymore. and i take meds again in evening as neck muscles are getting stiff and tired. ware soft collar off and on during the day but do not want to become dependent on it so i refuse to ware it all the time, i need to keep muscles as strong as possible. 

i still can not cook, clean or do much of anything which is very hard on me. i have two senior dogs(14 and 17 yorkie and shih tzu) with health problems and my husband has taken over their care. and of course nobody does anything right when it comes to my babies. my yorkie also has dementia so this part is a challenge for me.

i don't want everyone to think this is the most horrible operation or the most painful. yes i hurt some, yes i am now full of nuts, bolts, screws and rods but i have suffered worse. i am 68 years old and maybe that makes a difference, but i really believe the doctor (i love my doctor) and being prepared and a positive mind frame will help.

i have degenerative disc disease so i will never be perfect, but i thank god for my family, my doctor and all the help i have received on this site. you have done so much to help me get ready. folks its not all bad, trust me.

please click on the link for useful information

• advertisement
  • LizLiz Posts: 9,699
    This is an old discussion the member who created it is no longer on the forum so i am closing it

Liz, 

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Join Us to comment.