advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Looking for some advice

Carol KCCarol K Posts: 3
edited 12/07/2014 - 11:46 PM in Recovering from Surgery
i had c5-c7 acdf surgery october 10. i'm still in shock since i never had any back/ neck problems until july of this year. in july, i started getting a sharp stabbing pain in my left arm. originally thought i was having a heart attack. anyway, by early september, i started having balance problems and trouble walking. during this whole time i never really had back/neck pain. was told surgery went well. four week follow up, i was told all looks good and i should start pt. now, here i am a month later with more pain than i had prior to surgery. left arm is now good, but my right arm is hurting like crazy and now my neck and shoulder hurts as well. walking is not getting any better either and at pt i was told they can only focus on one area and i would need another script if i want to work on my leg. getting depressed and frustrated. any suggestions, ideas, would be greatly appreciated. (i do see my surgeon next week.). thanks you!

*********************************************************************************************************

welcome to spine-health

it would be very helpful if you could provide us with more details. here are some questions that you
should answer:
  • - when did this first start?- was it the result of an accident or trauma?- what doctors have you seen?- what conservative treatments have you had? which ones?- what diagnostic tests have you had? and their results- what medications are you currently using?- has surgery been discussed as an option?- what is your doctor’s action plan for treating you?

providing answers to questions like this will give the member community here a better understanding
of your situation and make it easier to respond.

please take a look at our forum rules: forum rules

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--- ron dilauro, spine-health system moderator : 12/07/14 22:50
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

advertisement

Comments

• stop the PT and do massage. your PT is probably causing inflammation. I have had 2 neck surgery's both very good. My neuro surgeon said PT caused more problems then helped and to do massage. Both times I skipped any PT and healing was slow but good. I avoided over using my arms for a while. Anyways just my opinion but PT puts to much pressure on healing disc.
  • "Four week follow up, I was told all looks good and I should start PT. Now, here I am a month later with more pain than I had prior to surgery. Left arm is now good, but my right arm is hurting like crazy and now my neck and shoulder hurts as well. Walking is not getting any better either...Getting depressed and frustrated. Any suggestions, ideas, would be greatly appreciated. (I do see my surgeon next week.). Thanks you!"

Carol,

I thought I would reply as my situation is very similar. I have had two fusion surgeries over the last five years C6/C7 five years ago and C5/C6 just 3.5 months ago. I had cold burning sensations and walking issues prior to my recent surgery. I was diagnosed with Cervical Spondylitis w/Myelopathy. Since the recent C5/C6 fusion surgery (which surgeon said went well due to new Xray's) , I have new pains and twitches in my left arm, neck and shoulders, and pain in my leg. I was so nervous, I went back to my neurologist and asked for another MRI to ensure that my recent fusion was not pinching something. She agreed and conducted a MRI and CAT Scan. They both indicated that the fusion was OK. She just thinks that the healing process is going to take time. Perhaps she is right and we both need to be patient. Please let us know how things went with your surgeon and good luck.

Scott
  • advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.