advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement
New members: Please read our Code of Conduct before submitting your first post.
Learn how to use the Veritas Health Forum: Take the System Tutorial

Abbreviated text talk

Comments

• Betty65BBetty65 FloridaPosts: 83
    Thank you for the links! The acronyms are very helpful -- sorry I didn't find them sooner. :-)
    Betty65
  • dilauroddilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,080
    Where we will have to edit those posts that continue to use abbreviated text. This will be especially true with those
    • - That the meaning of the post is somewhat confusing - The abbreviated text was abused
  • advertisement
  • it's entirely unnecessary when one has a smart phone that will do word completion, spellchecking, etc. While I can see the rationale of using some sort of shorthand with a flip phone, there are fewer and fewer of these nowadays. Besides, if texting is cumbersome, why not just sit at a keyboard and type - using complete words and sentences?
    Using abbreviated text.

I just finished reading a post where the member wrote:

I went to see my NS and u have to believe he said we r better off taking narcs instead of muscle relaxers. My doc suggested that I might have fibro. ...........

There are already tons of medical abbreviations ( acdf , 360 , plaid , etc ).

So refraining from using the abbreviated text is so important

People still use abbreviated text talk.

That may be fine for the Iphones, but online and dealing with international members, that should not be happening.

PLEASE stop using it.
  • advertisement
  • I'm a former user of these as of now! I read the rules and found such comfort in the FAQ section, chronic pain, and spoon theory. I shouldn't have lapsed into text talk in my threads, I realize that now. You will be you from now on. Thanks for posting this. I see it is is from 2008, but I always go directly to active discussions. If I missed this in the new member section, I apologize. If it is not in the new member faq section, it would be great. To have it. I was also using "spondy" and "meds". I won't anymore. Thank you.
    Happy
  • Hi Ron

I have just read the history on this post and have noticed your growing aggravation that people are not doing what you are asking so I thought I would give you an insight as to why they are not - from a forum user's perspective.

I am not always on the forum and, when I am, I don't have time to read every post. I generally go straight to 'My Posts' to see if there are any additions to conversations I have either started or joined. I then have a quick look at 'Recent Posts' to see if there are any topics of interest or that I might be able to add to.

Using the forum this way means that I often miss topics such as this one because it is not appearing on the first page or so of the feed. As an example - this topic has been running for some time and yet this is the first time that I have ever seen it.

With any luck the message will get out there but it may take some time before it does.

And now for a laugh ... When this new text talk first started, my granddaughter would send me a text that ended with LOL. I thought it was so sweet and so when I answered her I also ended all my texts with LOL. This kept going for sometime until one day she asked me why I was 'laughing out loud' at something that she was clearly upset about. It was that moment that I discovered that LOL did not stand for 'lots of love'!

The language barrier gets even funnier when you take it up another generation. My mother is now in her late 80's and has recently stepped into today's world with an iPhone. She missed a call from me the other day and sent me a text to say she was at the doctors and would call me when she got home. I replied with 'sweet' (a term I picked up from my son that apparently substitutes for 'okay'). Mum then replied with 'You are so sweet too - Lots of love'
  • BansheeofBebopBBansheeofBebop Posts: 1
    edited 11/04/2015 - 12:11 PM
    I always think the poster is underage when I see that stuff.
  • MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,772
    edited 11/06/2015 - 4:35 AM
    Lines from a move. During the dialog an number of [edit] bombs were dropped. I changed the full spelling to[edit] an abbreviation for a profane term.
    Is that ok in any way shape or form?

Thanks,

Dave
  • Well, I found my way into this forum, and while its comforting in some way to know that I'm not the only one going through chronic pain, I surely don't wish this on anyone. I struggled for years with a doctor telling her there was some severe problems with my spine going on but she didn't seem to hear a thing I said. Finally after begging her literally, for 3 years for an MRI she had one done and it has shown severe central spinal canals stenosis in several different areas as well as other issues. I also have fibromyalgia and other health issues.

After finally getting the MRI and then not much being done after that I have switched to a whole new healthcare system with a new doctor who seems to care enough to want something done. Thank God. I surely don't want to live out the rest of my days riddled with this degree of pain.

I have a ton of allergies and I have to admit I had not been eating healthy. For the last about year and a half I changed my diet completely to not only eat healthier but also eat portion sized appropriately.

I not only have pain walking, sitting, laying, moving, but also headaches 24/7 that never stop, sciatica, nueropothy, numbness, and pain from these things lead to nausea and vomiting. My left leg goes numb and I fall, and my left hand goes numb and I drop things. I walk with a cane. I just got a referral to go to a neurosurgeon, IF they will take me as a patient.

Okay, I've rambled long enough.
    Blessings,
    Doz
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.