advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Newbie to site

ShawaatkakeSShawaatkake Posts: 2
edited 12/27/2014 - 1:52 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi guys! I am new to site. Not new to back pain. :(
History, 35 yr old female, rheumatoid arthritis and back pain.
Last MRI :
L4-L5:
Disk desiccation and mild broad-based left paracentral disk bulge with focus of increased signal in the bulge, consistent with underplaying annular tear and similar in appearance to prior study. There is mild facet and ligamentum flavum hypertrophy at this level, with posterior epidural fat that produces mild canal stenosis. There is no significant neural foranimal narrowing.
L5-S1:
Mild disk space narrowing and disk desiccation with a small broad-based posterior left paracentral disk bulge without significant change compared to prior study. There is no significant neural foranimal narrowing or canal stenosis

With that said, I just recently had the epidural steroid injection in the L4-L5 area. Seemed good while numbing medication was still in effect. But since I have such severe pressure I feel like something should explode out of my right hip and my back needs a severe popping. I am on strong anti-inflamitory medicines, three different muscle relaxers throughout the day and now even some opioid medication to help with pain as well as a neurological medication for e nerves.

Physical therapy in past helped to a small point then caused tremendous pain. Tried massage therapy with same results. I didn't want the ESI (epidural steroid injection) but with nothing else helping I thought give it a try. I am in worse pain and have the severe pressure now. Unless I can keep my side stretched out to the left, I can not get relief. Sitting hurts, pain goes to my knee on the right. Standing always caused pain in my back, especially if I had to stay in one spot too long. Walking caused pain, I tried walking to make it better but never helped, made worse. I been doing yoga, but again, not getting better.

This is a plea from me to anyone who knows what this feels like, what made it better for you? I am nauseated and when I take all medication like scheduled, I am super drowsy and asleep.
advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 9,699

Liz, 

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • LC84LLC84 Posts: 593
    edited 12/27/2014 - 3:37 AM
    How long ago was your Epidural injection? It's normal to have increased pain after, then the steroid should start taking affect within a few weeks. If the injections fail, you'll need to discuss the next step with your PM Dr or whoever is managing your case. Some medications take time for your body to get used to. If you've just recently started a new med or increased the dose of a different medication, drowsiness can be a side affect until your body gets used to it. Are the meds helping with the pain? If you've been on them for a while with no change, you may want to inform your Dr and see if your meds need adjusted so you're not so drowsy all the time. Unfortunately, what works for one person, doesn't always work for another. Are you still in PT? I know that can take several weeks before you may notice a difference. If it caused you that much pain, you may need a new therapist. It's going to cause soreness, but it shouldn't cause that kind of pain. It's good for strengthening at least. So is walking. The more you lie around the worse it will be in the long run. Has a surgeon looked at your films yet? That may be a next step if conservative treatments continue to fail.

I hope you get some relief.
    LC
    Progressive DDD
    Osteoarthritis
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
    Discectomy, Laminotomy/Foraminotomy L3-S1 January 2014
    Bilateral SI Joint Fusion and 2 level spinal Fusion October 2014
  • advertisement
  • I am no longer in physical therapy. A year ago I had a pt person who would do their work, then it started hurting from appointment to appointment.
    Injection was on the 19th. I have felt nothing but severe pressure. I been taking medications a while now but it seems I am just adding new medications each time I see the doctor. I have two kids and I HAVE to be able to do anything my kids need at any given time.
    All I can say is that I am not sure I could live with this on a daily basis from here on out. The pressure pain is driving me nuts and I am not comfortable
  • The added pain from the injection should have started to lessen by now, but it could take a bit more time for the steroid to start working. Have you tried icing the area that was injected? When do you see your Dr next? I've used a TENS unit to help with back pain. You can purchase one on your own but I would clear it with your Dr first. If a spine surgeon hasn't viewed your MRI, you may want to ask about a referral. If surgery isn't recommended, the surgeon may at least be able to provide recommendations for further treatment. How recent was your last MRI? I have kids too so I know how difficult it can be. It's probably difficult not to overdo it, but you want to make sure you're careful with your movements. It's hard to find the balance of taking it easy while trying to keep moving at the same time. Since it's been over a week and your symptoms are still worse, you may want to contact your Dr. to make sure everything is normal. I'm always one that prefers to be safe.

LC
    Progressive DDD
    Osteoarthritis
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
  • As far as medications go. The goal should to be on the fewest medications possible while providing the best pain relief. Before I decided to change Dr's, my previous PM had me on so many medications that weren't working. Now I'm on 4 ( related to my back) with the goal of reducing to 3. I have better pain relief now then I did when I was on 7 different medications. If you've just started a medication, it generally takes a month, sometimes more, before you know if it's going to work or not. Sometimes it takes a few dosage adjustments too. I find it strange that you are on 3 different muscle relaxers when you could potentially be on 1 that works better. Try to keep track of your pain when starting a new med, if it isn't helping then inform your Dr. Getting the right "blend" of medications can take time, but you don't want to be taking any medications that aren't helping.
    Progressive DDD
    Osteoarthritis
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
  • advertisement
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.