advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement

Sexual Activity after L5/S1 Microdiscectomy

Just had this procedure a little over 3 weeks ago. I am a 26 year old male in good physical shape. I was able to walk a block or so the day after surgery, and two miles by the end of the week. I can now do light swimming and even stationary bike.

The doctor initially told me no sexual activity for 2 weeks after surgery. At my 2 week post op appointment he tells me another 6 weeks!! Not "hey take it easy a few more days just to be safe"...another 6 weeks!

So, I had to ask him if that meant masturbation also. He said yes. Apparently the act of ejaculating clenches muscles in your lower back that can press on the nerve and prevent it from healing? Even though I am pretty sure I make those same contractions when I am emptying my bowels/bladder.

Was anyone els told to wait this long by their doctor? I can do without sex for 6 weeks if I have to, but not being able to take care of myself is going to be very difficult...I mean I'm a young male after all...talk to any other guy close to my age and they'll tell you they couldn't last 6 days, let alone 6 weeks.

Anyway, I know this is a bit of a weird topic to talk about, but I really appreciate any tips/advice you guys/girls have regarding sexual activity after this procedure.

Thanks!

advertisement

Comments

• My surgeon had three or four weeks on the post-op sheet with a note of 'use common sense in positioning, etc'. It's been six months post-op for me and I still don't feel stable enough to attempt 'it' though by now 'helping oneself' should be fine.... I would think. To be quite honest, I am so scared that sexual activity would reherniate my disc that I expect to take advantage of the divorce that happened to me two weeks post-op and just stay 'very single' indefinitely (much to the dismay of all of my friends and relatives). I would rather give up anything to not risk a re-injury, though.
  • jewfro18jjewfro18 Posts: 7
    edited 01/05/2015 - 6:21 PM
    daleyyc said:
    My surgeon had three or four weeks on the post-op sheet with a note of 'use common sense in positioning, etc'. It's been six months post-op for me and I still don't feel stable enough to attempt 'it' though by now 'helping oneself' should be fine.... I would think. To be quite honest, I am so scared that sexual activity would reherniate my disc that I expect to take advantage of the divorce that happened to me two weeks post-op and just stay 'very single' indefinitely (much to the dismay of all of my friends and relatives). I would rather give up anything to not risk a re-injury, though.
    Totally understandable, and very sorry for your divorce. Things will get better! Everything happens for a reason.

Thanks for your reply!
  • advertisement
  • I lost the ability to function correctly thanks to my surgery. Even with the little blue pill things aren't the way they should be. Thank goodness I have a very understanding wife. After my fusion, it took a long time before I felt comfortable doing anything sexually again. I just didn't feel stable. Now, it's so painful even trying that the mood leaves pretty quickly.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • EMS Guy said:
    I lost the ability to function correctly thanks to my surgery. Even with the little blue pill things aren't the way they should be. Thank goodness I have a very understanding wife. After my fusion, it took a long time before I felt comfortable doing anything sexually again. I just didn't feel stable. Now, it's so painful even trying that the mood leaves pretty quickly.
    Jeez, I'm sorry to hear that. I definitely don't have that problem, the urge is there and stronger than ever, I just cant do anything about it. I guess it could be worse though...

What does your doctor say about that? Is it common?
  • EMS GuyEEMS Guy Posts: 1,557
    edited 01/08/2015 - 5:39 AM
    When I had the procedure done it hadn't been published as a potential side effect/complication of ALIF for men. After digging around for a while I finally found a medically reviewed study that says ED issues have occurred to 20% of men having it done. I had to jump through some hoops with Workers Comp to prove the problem came from surgery.

I had to get records from my PCP and Urologist. At first, they were going to fight the claim until my surgeon stepped up and said that it should be covered as a result of the surgery. So luckily, all my prescriptions for ED medication have been covered by WC since my injury was a WC issue and surgery was a result of the injury. Despite that, I would give every bit of the money back if I could have a normal sex life again.

I know it's tough to wait at 26 yrs old, but it's better to be safe than sorry considering how young you are.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • advertisement
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Join Us to comment.