advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Please someone advise! Bulging disc in C4-C5, and have Degenerative Disc Disease.

dianneg34ddianneg34 Posts: 1
edited 01/12/2015 - 7:36 PM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi, I am a 37yr old female with a bulging disc in my C4-C5 that is hitting my spinal cord. I have never had trouble with my neck until recently, and more with headaches than any other issue. I have Remitting/Relapsing Multiple Sclerosis which typically only effects my right side and it is a dull numbness...so when I started with extreme numbness in my left arm mainly effecting my middle finger ring finger and pinky finger and the inner part of my forearm amd the outter part of my biceps, I went to the ER to eliminate any possibility of me having a stroke, they did a CAT scan and said I had a pinched nerve in my neck and referred me to a neurologist. So I went in Novemeber for an initial consultation, the wanted me to have a MRI done, and at that time scheduled me for ESI injections. And I went and had the 4 injections done only to end up back in the ER with spinal headaches... I did not go for the second injection, but did go to my follow up appt and discussed with the dr about still having the numbness and pain in MY ARM. I did not have any cervical pain, limited mobility yes, pain no, until those injections were done. She assured me that it was a very slim channce for me to have the spinal headaches again, and convinced me to try it again. She said this time she would do nerve blocks with it to alieve any pain I may have with the ESI. So I go today and get set up for everything have the injections done and when I say to the nurse, that didnt feel anything like last time she said that is because we didnt do the ESI just the Facet Injections??? I said wait what? They said yoyr insurance did not cover the ESI but we went ahead and did the Facet Injections... I was in dumbfounded, why was I not made aware that my insurance did not cover the ESI before I had anything else done, and since the NERVE BLOCKS not facet injections were from the pain from the ESI why did they go on and do those without discussing anything with me? I am in more pain now than I was in before I initially went to see these doctors.
Tired of being a guinea pig, and wish the Neurologist would just listen to me!
advertisement

Comments

• dilauroddilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,303
    The hospital/doctor has a obligation to tell the patient EXACTLY what procedure is being performed.
    Most doctors will go to the point to mark on your body the area they are working on and ask you what procedure are you in for.

This is the first I have ever heard that the doctors went ahead and did a procedure without telling you what it was.

That is a major problem, I would talk this over with the hospital administration.
  • That's the first time I've heard that term. I had what others called migraines after those shots. That was my guideline for pain level 10. When you went to the Hosp for spinal headaches, were you admitted? I didn't go to the hosp, a few times I thought I should have. More than a few actually....most of the time. I already had strong pain meds, so I thought they'd charge me $500 send me back home. I'm so sorry it happened this way for you knowing what kind of pain I was in after the three injections. I'm glad you brought this up, I'd venture to say the same happened with me....and I'll ask if a portion of the shot was not allowed. Kno that I presumed I had been knicked, as I was in bed nearly 70 days....lights out, as anything could bring it on. Pure misery. Short term disability wouldn't pay me time off work. At the time I couldn't even think of not being paid, which is how serious the pain was. Had a c2-c7 surgery as the end result. Stay with me tho, while I agree, every aspect should be discussed, part of me feels like I was in so much pain due to, all that was wrong not visible in MRI /X-Ray. I hope that is not same for you.
  • advertisement
  • I agree with dilauro. Unless you have unwittingly signed an agreement with these people that allows some discretion to medical control (usually the attending physician) then something with your case seems wrong. This sounds like the discretion was assumed by the admin./insurance folks to perform this procedure without prior consent from the patient (you). I understand your physical problems in that I also suffer from debilitating c-spine trauma and surgeries. Good luck. And, I really mean in.
  • Explain to me which area of the spine was injected the first time? We're the injection in front or back ? I went through a series of epidural cervical spine injections the first shot was the worst, I had a migraine for three days. Took me a week to feel better. My spine doc said to give it 3 weeks. Each shot helped more but didn't last long. I recovered quicker from the last two shots. What are your symptoms now? Has it been a good few weeks since your last shot?
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • Hello to all. I am new to this forum and decided to register to talk with others that can relate to my pain. I am 39 years old and have been dealing with this since 2007, I believe C4-6. I started out with pain meds and muscle relaxers which seemed to help with the pain for a while. After some time the pain started to get worse and I had some injections done in the office that were horrific and I will never do those again. Still the pain became worse. Then the grinding started when I turn my head left or right. The docs later done a cervical neurotomy on my right side which helped for several years and then I just had another done a few months ago. Now my left side is starting to cause pain as well but they did not do a neurotomy on the left side. Can't do the procedure on both sides at the same time. But the right side is much worse. Now the pain is back. The headaches, muscle weakness, pain in my shoulders and right arm and I have new symptoms loss of balance, lack of sleep and eye pain in both eyes. I haven't had a new MRI done in years to see if things have worsened but the pain tells me things are worse. I have an appointment next week to see what other options I have. It is very hard to function due to the pain. I was exercising regularly but the headaches are severe that I can't do anything. The light bothers me at times. This seems like a never ending battle of unbearable pain. Is anyone else experiencing these symptoms and if so what treatments seemed to help if any?
    CEveritt
  • advertisement
  • It's not wise to assume anything with out a mri'. All doctors start out treating their patients conservativitly. Trigger point injection do hurt and I agree with you I won't do that again either.
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • dilauroddilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,303
    edited 01/23/2015 - 2:57 AM
    should never hurt.

The one problem with them is that after you are giving the lidocaine to help number the area, many administers let you get up and go.
    That is one sure fire way to have pain!. You need to ice the area for at least 15 minutes before you get up and go. If you do that,
    you can almost reduce any discomfort to 0

Over the years, I have probably had close to 50 trigger points. Never had any problem or discomfort with any of them. The actual needle injection
    may pinch a bit, but I guess I am so used to needles by now that didnt bother me.
  • edited 01/23/2015 - 5:03 AM
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited 01/23/2015 - 5:05 AM
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I've read the posts and one person suggested to someone that they needed an MRI. I have requested to get an MRI but was told by the doctor that they can't just do an MRI to check condition progression. Basically, one is all it takes even if it was done at the onsite of your condition. I explained my current and new symptoms but still no MRI was ordered. I have not had an MRI since 2003. Has anyone experienced this with their doctor?
    CEveritt
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.