advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Should I sue my doctor?

I contracted five different infections from having a morphine pain pump implanted in my lower back. They included MRSA, meningitis, etc. I have no long term effects of this except the fact that I had to have the pain pump taken back out and then if I want it back in will require another surgery. I was in the hospital for six days, and had to have IV therapy four times a day for another three weeks which required me to drive 100 miles round trip everyday. My question is, is this a sueable offense or not. Just looking for answers on what to do. I probably wouldn't have even thought about it if my Doctor would have showed me any concern at all. They referred me to another hospital and I didn't get one call, text, office appointment, nothing to see if I was ok or not. I usually seen the PA, who was wonderful, and not the Doctor, but he couldn't have made a thirty second phone call to at least see if I was alive or not. Just saying. The last time he seen me I had a tempature of 103.6, and was deathly ill. The only reason I'm still going to his office is because of the PA who is just awesome. Ok I've talked long enough, any info or your opinion would be greatly appreciated!
11 back surgeries, fused from L3/S1. Now have four herniated disc in neck from C3/C7. And two new herniated disc in lumbar at L1-2, L2-3. Passed 73 kidney stones, five surgeries on left ankle that now has seven screws in it and is fused. Both shoulders
advertisement

Comments

• Unfortunately, infections are a known complication with any surgery, unless you saw him use non-sterile technique. He might have poor bedside manner and follow up, but that doesn't qualify as medical malpractice. Lawsuits only increase the cost of care, although some are definitely warranted.
    I'd tell the PA your concerns on your care, and leave it at that. Hope you find relief.

ACDF w/Corpectomy C3-6 12/8/14 ; Laminectomy C3-6  5/19/2016

• dilauroddilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,303
    There is always risks invoked with any surgery.
    Does not mean that the doctor or staff did anything wrong.
  • advertisement
  • I agree. From what it sounds like, there was no malpractice. Infections are common. Not saying you haven't suffered. But a physician having poor bedside manner or being just a jerk isn't reason for a lawsuit. Not all physicians are great people. Some of them are brilliant surgeons but lack some personal skills or even a decent amount of empathy, but that isn't an offense. My nephew's neurosurgeon was a genius in the operating room, but generally speaking, lacked any sort of rapport with children and was actually seen as quite cold. That said, he was the best neuro in the Midwest and my nephew is doing great. Could he have been nicer? Yes. But conversely, being a personable and concerned physician also doesn't mean he or she is a great surgeon.

I agree that he could have at least checked on you. I agree that you had bad luck and were miserable. But I don't think he did anything illegal.

Just my opinion.
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
  • Thanks for your feedback. That's what I needed to know. I really didn't want to sue him because he really has been very good to me over the years. He's been my pain management Doctor since 2005. He doesn't have a good bed side manner, but I knew that from the beginning. But he is very good at what he does, and has the awards to show it. Thanks again!
    11 back surgeries, fused from L3/S1. Now have four herniated disc in neck from C3/C7. And two new herniated disc in lumbar at L1-2, L2-3. Passed 73 kidney stones, five surgeries on left ankle that now has seven screws in it and is fused. Both shoulders
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.