advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

SPINAL CORD STIMULATOR ADVICE PLEASE

Comments

• I have had my Medtronics rechargeable unit since December 3, 2007. I have to second the comments about getting some of our lives back. Mine has given me a second lease on life and I am now able to do things I haven't been able to do in over 13 years. It is my little miracle machine.

I hope this is so for you, too. Best of luck to you.

Amy :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • advertisement
  • Hi Straker, I have a very best friend that has had the spinal cord stimulator for 3 years now, and according to her the amount of pain relief she is getting from having it is AMAZING :O She says she will never give it up. But she also still has to continue pain medication but not nearly as much as she did before the SCT. Also, you need to be aware that there is a box (size of cig. pack)that is in your back just under the skin that will be there permenant, or as long as you have stimulater. also, the battery in the box has to be changed every 5 yrs.(for her)which is a small surgery to take box out,but it's fast, but none the less it's a surgery. The box can also be uncomfortable to lay on at night,or even how you sit can be uncomfortable as well. When driving it's hard to turn your head and look over your shoulder,or to twist in that motion, all due to this box. So that takes some adjusting to get use to. You also have a small remote control box you keep with you all the time,in pocket,etc;; and thats how you control the pain through the stimulator. The surgeon sets it at a certain level that will control your pain and as you go along and you feel uncomfortable or maybe a worse pain day than others, then you can turn the remote differant levels until you feel relief. Also, If your real thin then this box that stays under the skin will be very uncomfortable on a daily basis,until you really get use to it or as much as you can anyway. Thats the most complaint my friend still has about hers is finding a comfortable position to sit or lay in when she is trying to relax or sleep.Where theres a will Theres a way :) I guess. I hope this info. has been helpful to you, and I wish you the best of health and luck with this. smallfrie
  • I'm really surprised your friend has such a large implant. Are you sure it's a SCS implant? A pack of cigarettes is HUGE compared to the size of implants on the market, even 3 years ago.

I have the Medtronic implant and it's only about 1 1/2 inches tall, 2 1/3 inches wide, and 1/3 of an inch thick. It's about the size of a pocket watch and much, much smaller than a pack of cigarettes.

I've only had my implant a couple of months and now that the incision pain has gone away, I hardly notice the box. In fact, I have to struggle a little bit to find the box and get my charger lined up when I need to recharge it.

The way you describe your friend's implant, I don't know that I would have gone through with it, even with as much relief as I get from it! My trial stimulator was about the size of a pack of cigarettes and I can't imagine having that implanted permanently. :?

• Yes.... she (the tat) is mine. She is on my left upper arm and I love her!! I love the old time pin-up girls and she represents me. She's tough but sexy and cool.... ready to take on anyone or anything. All of my tats have a deep meaning for me so you won't find any silly little cartoon characters on my bum or anything... lol.

On my right arm I have alot more art. I am working on finishing it as a short sleeve. I have Kanji symbols for the rat and the dragon (my kids zodiac signs) next to the signs for son and dtr. Then there is a large Koi fish with a lotus flower below that... it's huge and also a fav. In Japanese fables, Koi fish eventually become dragons. It represents my strength and constant changing. The Koi starts slightly below my upper arm and ends above my elbow. It's hard to get a picture of it since it is my whole upper arm but I will try to and then upload that pic too.

As far as the stim goes, I hope and pray that you are able to receive one as well. It really is a miracle in a small box. Thank God for the technology.

Thanks again,

Amy (~the Buns~)
  • advertisement
  • I'm in London and was told yesterday that after epidural injections and pulsed radio frequency that didn't work that my options were either a third surgery or a spinal cord stimulator. My consultant told me that it wasn't curative that it may help for a short term but I'm sent to another surgeon for a review to decide what's best.

The thoughts of either scares me and I just don't know if I like the idea of a SCS but I really don't want a third op either. I've been on different meds which haven't really worked and have left me feeling crap.

Are you having a SCS?

Cx
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Before I had my second Fusion at L5/S1 I went to see a Chronic Pain Physician about this device and he suggested this to me . I later found out I had fractured the First Fusion and set about getting it fixed . The Sciatic Pain however has not eased and I am in a lot of Pain . I am very sensitive to any medication and this makes my positoion very delicate. I was given all the information , including a video on this device and I only read a little and did not watch the Video . Can't find it , looked everywhere. You have helped me understand what this device is all about and I hope soon that this opportunity comes my way again . This Pain is so hard to endure . Good luck and I hope anyone who is about to have one installed the greatest of success. It sounds awesome !
  • I know that the stimulator is quite expensive, but, a little relief from agonizing pain is better than no relief from agonizing pain. I have had my scs since March and it has helped me in more ways than I even realize. My dad had to have bypass surgery in June and I spent 2 weeks at the hospital with him, after driving 6 hrs to be there, and slept on these chairs that pulled out into a cot. I NEVER would have been able to do this BEFORE I had got the scs. I wouldn't have even been able to make the drive. Does it take all my pain away? NO, but it does ease it enough to allow me to do things that I wasn't getting to do. I have sciatica and back pain too. The scs helps with the sciatica A LOT, the back pain- not as much. I was afraid that my doc would stop treating me with meds after I got the scs, but he didn't. He realizes that I'm still in a lot of pain and he wants to help as much as possible, Thank Goodness!
    Good luck with your next treatment and with your decision about the scs. Oh yeah, I don't know where it's posted on this site (ask a moderator) but I watched a video that someone had posted about the implant surgery. If you can find it, watch it. I thought it was VERY helpful!
  • Arising this morning in Austalia , tears to think of another day with this reched agony.The sensitivity I have to medication is my greatest obstacle and I have been suggested as a candidate to have this implant. I have had this pain for three solid years now and two massive lots of Surgery both Anterior and Posterior, I also have an Artificial Disc at L4 to. Anyway I spent all night trying to find the information pack and video but I guess I threw it out thinking my last Surgery would fix my problem. Wishful thinking , damage done I think . Ok , will look for Video and I have to go to the Doctor tomorrow so will talk things over with him. Can't go on like this. Even when I am on heavy Meds I feel like I have a rod stuck up my left Butt Cheek.Living with Hope always and Thanks so much for your reply Terri
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Join Us to comment.