advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. On June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums moved to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Non union

I have ACDF on C5-6 a year ago. Recently, I have a X-ray check and found that there is no bone fusion taken place between the vertebrates. My NS told what I can do is to wait. This means that I should take exercises in the pool to avoid causing too much stress to the spine. That's what I presume.
advertisement

Comments

• Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 605
    I also had a non fusion surgery. Mine was on C 4/5. I was ordered the bone growth stimulator collar to wear every day. It didn't work & I ended up having a second surgery. The second time it was done posterior. Much more painful surgery & recovery.
    Also I want to add, please make sure you don't take any ibuprofen. My first surgeon wouldn't give me any pain pills & advised me to take ibuprofen. I came to find out through my new surgeon that ibuprofen can slow the fusion process.
    Good luck to you & I really hope you heal soon!
  • Heading into surgery next Wednesday for c6-7 ACDF. Trying to be positive about the surgery and my ability to heal. Curious if you used cadaver bone or your own iliac crest bone?
    Lisa
  • advertisement
    I used cadaver bone. Actually, now that I think about it, I wasn't given an option? I've read on here of many people using their own? I'm kind of curious what the success rate is of both options?
    Good luck with your surgery! Keep us updated
  • Motor 1 thanks for comment regarding ibuprofen. I use that all of the time but have stopped as per MD orders and will not continue. I am so curious why you both did not fuse? Any other medical issues that would prevent it from happening? My Doc is using cadaver bone. He says that sometimes the pain at the donor site is more painful than the cervical surgery. My second opinion NS said he likes to use your own iliac crest as he believes it will heal faster. Not sure if there are any studies regarding this. I broke my wrist a couple of years ago and healed rather quickly and was able to attempt surfing after 5 weeks in cast. Being a diabetic type 1 puts me at risk for non union but I am a well controlled diabetic so I hope that will have no effect on my healing rate. Keeping my positive healing vibes in my mind. I know I am in good hands with my surgeon and healing will occur. :) Are there any things you can take vitamins that will help with healing/ fusion process.? Thanks for the good luck Motor 1 . I will try to post as soon as I can after surgery.
    Lisa
  • I take Excedrin daily for a very long time (probably addict to it). I stop using it three weeks prior to the surgery and probably won't take it because it doesn't help the fusion.

My doctor use the Cervical Interbody made of PEEK (little hollow plastic thingy) for my fusion, he didn't offer me any choices, he said he saved all the stuff he shaved and grind from the surgery and mixed with something and put it when the disc use to be. Not sure it's good or bad. I am only at week four post op so I have no idea is anything starting to fuse or not.

Kenny
  • advertisement
    I have known several people who say using their own bone from their hip was much more painful. Also, 2 of them ended up getting an infection in the wound from the hip? But, I guess you have a risk of infection anytime you have surgery for any reason? Thankfully, I am fused now, but I'm still dealing with bad nerve pain & it's been a year since my second surgery.
    I was told at the time of my injury, 2 years ago, that the pain I was having in my shoulder was coming from my neck injury. Finally, after changing shoulder doctors, I just got an MRI/Arthrogram & I showed it to my pain doctor yesterday. He said it shows a rotator cuff tear? I see my new shoulder doctor on Monday, so I guess I'll be finding out what his plan is. Unfortunately, I'll probably be facing my 3rd surgery in 2 years. I'm not happy that it took 2 years for me to get proof that there was something wrong with my shoulder too.
    Cathy
  • Holey smokes! That is awful. I am so sorry. I have heard the reverse more often . People think they have a rotator cuff injury but it is caused from neck . Opposite thing in your case. Wishing you lick and get another opinion to be on the safe side. Maybe go conservative route with some PT first. Again I am not a Doctor . Wishing you good luck.
    Lisa
    Thanks Lisa. I do plan on getting other opinions. I have tried physical therapy 4 times. The original therapy was for my neck, so when I kept complaining how bad it was aggravating my shoulder, each of my doctors would have it include therapy for my shoulder as well. I also had a cortisone shot in it. All that did was cause more pain.
    This is all just so unfortunate as I could've had this resolved 2 years ago when my initial injury occurred. My daughter in law is expecting my second grand baby any day now (a little girl this time!) and I won't be of much help to her. Plus, due to all the complications after my second neck surgery, my doctor has me on a 10lb weight restriction. It's very hard when my 3 year old grandson asks me to hold him. He knows "Munga" has a boo boo, but he doesn't understand it. And there's no way once that little baby girl grows to over 10lbs, that I won't resist holding her!!! Oh the struggles....
    Cathy
  • Jay-ZJJay-Z Posts: 33
    edited 05/07/2015 - 4:06 AM
    Stay happy said:
    I have ACDF on C5-6 a year ago. Recently, I have a X-ray check and found that there is no bone fusion taken place between the vertebrates. My NS told what I can do is to wait. This means that I should take exercises in the pool to avoid causing too much stress to the spine. That's what I presume.
    I had c7 t1 fusion more than 5 years ago and was told everything was good even though I still had issues. Just 2 months ago I found out that it never fussed at all and one of the screws fractured. So now I am waiting to get a date for my 2nd surgery. I got fussed with a piece of bone from my hip crest. So after more than 5 years it never fused whatsoever. Whan I got it done I was 30 now I am 36, I am healthy and athletic so the only thing I can think of that may have contributed to the none fusion is a year before my surgery I smoked but quite and haven't went back ever since. My 2nd surgery will be a synthetic bone with bone stimulation, hopefully this will work?
  • I wish there was some documentation that proves what will help us to fuse. I go for my fusion on Wednesday and because I am a type 1 diabetic there is a risk that I wont fuse. I know smoking can have a detrimental effect on fusion. Going to try to keep my blood sugars as normal as possible and take calcium and vitamin D. I do not know if there is any proof that these meds will help but I am going to do it. I am almost 50. I feel like I know I can heal as I broke my wrist two tears oago playing softball and it healed faster than expected.
    Lisa
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.