There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

ACDF Tomorrow & Son Sick

I am going in tomorrow AM and my Son has a virus (possibly strep?). We're having him seen later. Anyway, he vomited all throughout the night last night and is running fever. I am worried I am going to get what he has but not be symptomatic until after surgery. I really don't want to vomit after this procedure....

I can't cancel as this will be the second time due to needing cardiac clearance the first time. I've rearranged my life again (work, kids, etc.) for this and I can't back out on a suspicion or fear of getting this from my Son. But on the other hand....I cannot get sick after having this procedure.

I am absolutely devastated right now. Worried about my Son, worrying about what I should do. There has been so much crap around this procedure that's seriously making me second guess my decision to have it in the first place.
ACDF C6/C7 on 05/20/15
...and it was the best decision of my life :-)


  • dilauroddilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,283
    You have a right to be concerned.

    No one would allow you to go into a surgical procedure if you had a cold, virus, etc... .

    But, in your situation, its different. Its IF you might developed the problem, catching it from your son. Besides the normal post surgical aspects, you don't want to deal with an additional problem. The last thing I could think about after an ACDF surgery is getting sick and having to vomit. That would hurt my throat so much

    I would contact your doctor to talk this over.
  • Yes, if I am actively sick I'll call it off. The "wondering if I'll get sick" is what's bothering me. I've got two small children so my immune system is pretty hardcore as I've skipped through illnesses they've had in the past while caring for them. I hate to cancel (again) on the "what if I get sick" thought. This is the second time I've been scheduled for the ACDF as the first one was cancelled due to a bad EKG. I had to re-do all the pre-op stuff, cover my shift at work, cover someone picking the boys up to and from, etc. etc. etc. ETC. It's hell planning for this and to be honest, I if I have to cancel again I'll not reschedule anytime soon because I can't help but be frustrated at rearranging my life around to have it all fall apart. This is such a freaking mess.

    ACDF C6/C7 on 05/20/15
    ...and it was the best decision of my life :-)
  • advertisement
  • The chances of you catching whatever bug he has is probably slim. I rarely get sick from my kids. Unless you've really been kissing him closely, etc.... I would let your surgeon know what is going on, just in case he feels it's too risky.
    As far as the surgery, I think it is a god send. I left all my pain in the surgery room, and the surgery, as much of a pain in the butt that it is, was totally worth it!
    I will keep you in my prayers. Good luck!
  • DeniseO_oDDeniseO_o Posts: 114
    edited 05/19/2015 - 6:48 AM
    I was kissing him last night before bed. The vomiting started at 1130. Thank You <3
    ACDF C6/C7 on 05/20/15
    ...and it was the best decision of my life :-)
  • dilauroddilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,283
    edited 05/19/2015 - 7:12 AM
    The fact that you have had to cancel surgery in the past, plus the fact that you were nervous and scared to start with about the surgery, I can understand that if you cancelled this one, you are just going to forget it.

    Its easy for me to say, but dont. Don't cancel the surgery, but again talk it over with your doctor. The sooner you have your ACDF the sooner you will be recovering and back to being the Mom you want to with your boys. If you cancelled now, even though you might not reschedule, you are just going to continue to be in pain. And I am sure that while you are in pain and discomfort, you cant be the Mommy to your boys the way you want to be.

    Just my two cents.
  • advertisement
  • You are correct. Although I live in my own personal hell because I am still an active mother, I just struggle silently. The only thing I stopped doing (for the most part) is carrying my youngest around.

    My Son tested positive for strep throat. I hate that for him, but it's better for me since it's more difficult to catch than a run of the mill stomach virus. As long as I am not running fever, I am going forward with surgery tomorrow.

    Thanks everyone for listening in my moment of panic and uncertainty. It means a lot. I'll update y'all as soon as I am able. Thanks again spine health family <3 :-*
    ACDF C6/C7 on 05/20/15
    ...and it was the best decision of my life :-)
  • I understand the trepidation (fear...I have it, too.) Sounds like this is one of those things that is in the realm of out of your control. Please take a cleansing breath. You are ready. You are going to do great! Have a nice dinner, sleep well and you will be in my thoughts and prayers. Let us know when you are on the other side. I will be checking...

  • Hi, I totally understand you concern, I think you'll be fine just make sure your surgeon know about your son's condition.

    I actually caught a sore throat and was put on antibiotic 5 days before surgery, and I threw my back out one day before surgery and went the ER, was put on muscle relax after ER doctor and Surgeon okay the medication. I could barely walk the next morning but made it to the hospital. So I totally understand you are stressed a bit. The good news is you're going to finally get a good sleep during surgery and some rest afterwards. focus on recovery and think about the fun stuff you are going to do this summer.

    Keep up posted!!!

  • Hey Denise,

    I believe you are having a single level ACDF with a titanium plate correct? While it would be miserable vomiting after the surgery I think the chance of damaging the area is pretty slim. If you are not having the plate though you should reschedule. In any event let your surgeon know and he or she will make the decision.

    The only reason to back out from the surgery would be is if you don't have confidence in your surgeon. In that case cancel the surgery and go find a new one. Aside from that now is not the time to be second-guessing, go forward and trust in yourself.

    You're going to do well.
  • Denise, I just thought if this..... Hopefully you read it before surgery tomorrow. If you let your surgeon know your son had strep, they may be able to give you antibiotics via IV during and after the surgery prophylacticly. They will probably give you some anyway, mine did as routine to prevent infection. But maybe they can give you some that will also kill the strep in case you have it. Just a thought. Good luck to you. We'll be praying for you.
    Hugs and take a deep breath. It will all be ok.
Sign In or Join Us to comment.