advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement
New members: Please read our Code of Conduct before submitting your first post.
Learn how to use the Veritas Health Forum: Take the System Tutorial

Nerve Pain after L5S1 fusion

DCLife100DDCLife100 Posts: 17
edited 10/12/2015 - 7:29 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello,

This is my first post as I have read many articles and posts for months on this site. I am a healthy 35 year old male who has always had a healthy life. last 10 years or more I would Work hard, workout and run 5 times a week, do lots of construction on own home, numerous children and more. Well a year ago I had a herniated disc that caused horrible nerve pain that got so bad in left leg that I could not walk at all. Days later I had an L5/S1 micro discetamy, November of 2014. I woke up from surgery in nearly 0 pain and was so surprised and happy. Went home and made myself lunch. Rested for 2 weeks then back to work on light duty jobs. Well several months later I started to have this hardening feeling on the entire left side of the left foot, which is the S1 nerve root area in your foot. It got so bad I could not work. Months off work and months of therapy provided mild relief. Back to work and things got worse than ever, Left side of left foot always hurting from hardening, deep burning or sensitive cutting feeling. Then nerve pain through the entry left leg from cutting, burning, twitching all over the leg in different areas and more. After exhausting medications, therapy, back brace, cortisone shots, and more, for months I decided to have the fusion surgery. Luckily i qualified for just a back entry surgery where they did not have to cut open my stomach or front entry area also. Off pain medications in 1 week. I am 3 weeks post fusion surgery and still have horrible pain all day in the left side of the left foot from hard feeling to burning to cutting sharp pain, and back and forth. Walk several times a day but pain in foot usually gets worse from walking. I also am getting burning in the calf area off and on and the entire left foot off and on. Everything I read and learned states that nerve pain healing process is so slow and could take 6 months to 1 year. Usually if the pain does not go away in a year you might have it forever. So it is so difficult to stay positive and move forward after nearly a year of bad pain, but we all have to be strong and support each other. Anyone else ever have the entire side of one foot with hardening, burning or more? I ask because the surgeon never heard of this symptom before??? Hope it will eventually go away or i can never work most jobs ever again. Anyone can offer any of their stories to help us all!

advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 9,695
    please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

i am sure that you will find your time on spine-health very rewarding. this site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main spine-health menu bar

spine-health main menu tabs

conditions detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    treatment list of treatments to the conditions identified by spine-health.
    wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    medical articles
    pain forums these are the forums you will be using
    find a doctor this provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    videos index to all spine-health videos

as a bonus, spine-health provides these patient forums. here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. you will soon become part of the spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. you are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

important

- it is very important to understand the forum rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- all new members must read our faq in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on spine-health forum faq

i am positive any member, new or old will find this chroinc pain - step by step thread very valuable.

here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

read before you post
    more info tips for newcomers
    understanding the rules

all of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

you can also find spine-health on these social networks

facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    pinterest https://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    twitter https://twitter.com/spinehealth

if you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the spine-health moderators

dilauro

liz

savage

also working with us very closely is allison walsh from the spine-health company

awalsh

liz, spine-health moderator

Liz, 

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • chop my leg offcchop my leg off British ColumbiaPosts: 56
    edited 01/14/2016 - 11:03 PM
    DCLife100 said:
    Hello,

This is my first post as I have read many articles and posts for months on this site. I am a healthy 35 year old male who has always had a healthy life. last 10 years or more I would Work hard, workout and run 5 times a week, do lots of construction on own home, numerous children and more. Well a year ago I had a herniated disc that caused horrible nerve pain that got so bad in left leg that I could not walk at all. Days later I had an L5/S1 micro discetamy, November of 2014. I woke up from surgery in nearly 0 pain and was so surprised and happy. Went home and made myself lunch. Rested for 2 weeks then back to work on light duty jobs. Well several months later I started to have this hardening feeling on the entire left side of the left foot, which is the S1 nerve root area in your foot. It got so bad I could not work. Months off work and months of therapy provided mild relief. Back to work and things got worse than ever, Left side of left foot always hurting from hardening, deep burning or sensitive cutting feeling. Then nerve pain through the entry left leg from cutting, burning, twitching all over the leg in different areas and more. After exhausting medications, therapy, back brace, cortisone shots, and more, for months I decided to have the fusion surgery. Luckily i qualified for just a back entry surgery where they did not have to cut open my stomach or front entry area also. Off pain medications in 1 week. I am 3 weeks post fusion surgery and still have horrible pain all day in the left side of the left foot from hard feeling to burning to cutting sharp pain, and back and forth. Walk several times a day but pain in foot usually gets worse from walking. I also am getting burning in the calf area off and on and the entire left foot off and on. Everything I read and learned states that nerve pain healing process is so slow and could take 6 months to 1 year. Usually if the pain does not go away in a year you might have it forever. So it is so difficult to stay positive and move forward after nearly a year of bad pain, but we all have to be strong and support each other. Anyone else ever have the entire side of one foot with hardening, burning or more? I ask because the surgeon never heard of this symptom before??? Hope it will eventually go away or i can never work most jobs ever again. Anyone can offer any of their stories to help us all!
    I have that in my foot. L4 s1discectomy X2. 2 surgeries in 30 days. And I get painful sparks in my right leg right to my foot. Started tightness in my foot then escalated 3 weeks ( cause I was mobile again probably) (wcb thinks im faking it i think) to severe pain like my foot is in a vice grip. I couldn't walk at all. I've had pain and numbness in my foot ( cept my big toe) and calf since before 1st surgery and also my lateral side on my right calf. Sometimes it feels like someone has a knife and is trying to cut my toes off. My heal is now starting to hurt and the tightness has moved now up my calf and the pain in my leg has also gotten worse. Is this due to nerves healing or is this due to the severe compression to my nerves in the spinal canal. No idea. Hopefully hesling. I want my life back.... Just wanted you to know that I feel what you just stated. I also have burning in my left leg and have since the day of the accident. I feel sometimes like I have huge water blisters under my right foot when I walk sometimes and sometimes I can't even stand a sheet touching my toes. My foot is now deformed ..it's like it's spreading out just before my toes. Had to buy new boots today. Oh ya speaking of boots my right foot can't stand the cold. Nope doesn't like it all. When I sit the tightening gets worse to the vice grip agsin and when I'm standing a lot or walking. One end of the mall to the other and I'm limping hard back to my truck sit ting on benches on the way tskin ltitle breaks. . Fun times... my neurosurgeon thinks it's probably permanent nerve damage but hasn't put that in black and white yet. They won't speculate as to whether I will get foot drop. I can't stand on my toes. And stairs well hope your not behind me and late for work. I won't even go into the depression part. That's another story all together. And not a pretty one. Your injury isolates you and then your friends do. And your childs mad cause you cant ice skate or downhill ski......Oh don't get me started. I know I'm no help but your not alone in your symptoms. I guess I could of just stated the last sentence but I needed to vent :) oh ya my pain was 3 days to hit hard after the work accident and so severe nothing would stop the pain. After 2 months i Had a mri and the next day I was booked for the first surgery with a gigantic bulged disc. And 3 smaller bulged discs i guess and a compression fracture. Woke up to severe pain in the hospital and that led to 2nd mri and subsequent surgery. Another l4s1 discectomy. And now I'm waiting for 3rd mri due to foot and leg pain getting worse instead of better. Sorry you asked :)

L5S1..2 microdisectomies in 30 days maybe one more on the agenda. 4 bulged discs and one of them loves my spinal canal X2 :/ and a compression fracture . And now scar tissue wrapped around the nerve causing horrible neuropathy all over again.   VICIOUS CIRCLE :(
  • advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.