advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. On June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums moved to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Quick question on herniation size

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,008
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all, as I read through stories I occasionally read that someone has a 4mm or a 6mm herniation. I was told that my herniation is something like 1.5 x 1.8 x 1.6. Do you take those numbers and multiply them or add them or something to come up with the one big number?
advertisement

Comments

• Good question, Parker. I am not at expert, but intuitively I' would assume that at least one of the dimensions (most likely length or width) has to be at least 4 or 6 mm.

Anybody can explain?

Kin
  • Good question, Parker. I am not at expert, but intuitively I' would assume that at least one of the dimensions (most likely length or width) has to be at least 4 or 6 mm.

Anybody can explain?

Kin
  • advertisement
  • I just got a copy of my written MRI report from my father-in-law and the description of the herniation is as follows:

At L5/S1. there is a very large central-right paracentral disc extrusion. It displaces and compresses the traversing right S1 nerve root in the lateral recess. It is so large that it crosses the spinal canal and touches the right lamina of S1. The lesion measures 1.8cm AP by approximately 1.6cm transverse by approximately 1.7cm cephalocaudad.

So mine isn't even measured in millimeters ... but centimeters?!?!?!

I was feeling great today so I naturally pushed myself a little (still hadn't decided to do the surgery on Saturday or not yet) and I think I hurt myself a bit. Stupid, stupid, stupid ... I was feeling so good I even bought a ticket to Dark Night for tomorrow afternoon ... hope I can still handle it!

After reading the MRI report and the Neuro's diagnosis, I am no longer considering canceling the operation ... time to get this taken care of!
  • Good for you, Parker.

If you trust your doctor do as he says, although to give you piece of mind and maybe to satisfy your insurance company, a second (or even a third) opinion could not hurt.

Let us know about the final outcome.

Take care,

kin
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.