advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement

Healing ridge and other issues

My surgery was Jan 28 and went well. I had acdf c3-5 fused, with plating. I was in the hospital one night, and felt pretty good going home the next day. The next few days were pretty rough. I had a lot of muscle soreness all over, that is now resolved. Up until yesterday,  I'd been taking percoset two at a time. Now just one,  plus muscle relaxer is doing the job.  I do have a lot of swelling right underneath both incisions (hip & neck). They are not infected, red or oozing.  I googled it, and believe that it is a normal response, someone called it a "healing ridge". Any body else have this? After the third day, I developed the swollen throat. It's not sore, I'm happy to say, but swallowing it tricky. When I have the hard neck brace on, its easier because it seems like I'm already tilted up a bit. So eating is always done with water at my side! I've been sleeping in a recliner and still have an apnea. It's odd in that I'll wake up and have to open my mouth to expel a puff of air. Anybody else experience that?  The only other thing is this: I still have, or think I have some left clavicle & shoulder nerve pain. Doc dismissed it as being muscular, so I'm taking the muscle relaxers and using heat. It does help to some degree, so we'll see.  Also, I feel like I have a mild tremor in my neck. Maybe from weakness? The brace helps with that, too.

advertisement

Comments

• Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,496
    Jm

What you describe mostly sounds normal.

The pain after a few days comes from how they strap you down to the table. They don't want you to move, and ensure that you do not.

The ridge will go away in 4-8 weeks, you can massage it to help it along.

Swallowing and other esophagus problems are from moving it out of the way.  The more they move it the more it is affected.  This took 6-8 weeks to clear up for me the second time, and was barely noticeable the first time.
  • Jm.ouchbegoneJJm.ouchbegone Cincinnati, OhioPosts: 15
    Thanks, Bruce.  It's nice to vent a little, and have a quick response!
  • advertisement
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,496
    I was in the right place at he right time.

I only wish that I had found this forum when I needed it more.  I didn't find it, or realize that  I had found it any way, until a few weeks ago.  Now, I am much better, but found it during an unusual muscle spasm.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Thanks, Michelle. What are McKenzie exercises? 
  • advertisement
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Thanks Michelle.  I googled it!  I'm going to talk to ns at my 4 week check up about some gentle exercises. I have been basically immobile for several months, so I know I need to be extra slow and cautious about movement. 
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.