advertisement
advertisement

Does This Make Sense

Almost two weeks post surgery for l5s1 fusion. The initial nerve pain I had on left side is gone and incision area feels decent but now I am having horrific sciatica pain in right leg. Docs nurse told me it is from surgery having to move the muscles and nerves during surgery and should calm down and go away. Called me in gabapentin to help. I'm worried that this sciatica pain that I never had before will end up being a result from surgery and if that is the case I will be worse off than b4 surgery. Does it make sense that it is just a temporary this had anyone else experienced this?
advertisement

Comments

• Fusion is a major thing and while yes there is a possibility it could just be due to swelling irritation from surgery and many other things give it time for your body to heal and if it keeps up or gets worse you can always speak to your Dr about it
  • hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 809
    edited 02/17/2016 - 6:51 AM

Linda...

Yes it makes sense.... especially at two weeks post-op which is still early days for fusion recovery.  I've had two L5-S1 fusion surgeries (first one failed) and after the second one I had horrible sciatic pain down my right leg after surgery... even worse/different versus pre-op.  Eventually after 4 long months it did go away and just like you my doctor said it was due to inflammation and trauma of the nerves being crushed for so long. It seems that recovery and healing of the nerves is both very unpredictable and very slow.   About the only thing you can do until the nerves calm down is take pain meds.  I feel your pain and for sure it's no fun... I've been there...  however rest assured it WILL get better.   Try to walk as much as you can reasonably tolerate each day... that will help rebuild your back muscles which also experienced a lot of trauma in the surgery.

• advertisement
  • LizLiz Posts: 2,266

linda76017 said:
    almost two weeks post surgery for l5s1 fusion. the initial nerve pain i had on left side is gone and incision area feels decent but now i am having horrific sciatica pain in right leg. docs nurse told me it is from surgery having to move the muscles and nerves during surgery and should calm down and go away. called me in gabapentin to help. i'm worried that this sciatica pain that i never had before will end up being a result from surgery and if that is the case i will be worse off than b4 surgery. does it make sense that it is just a temporary this had anyone else experienced this?
    link to members duplicate post 
    https://forum.veritashealth.com/discussion/89868/treatment/recovering-surgery/does-make-sense#latest
    liz, spine-health moderator
  • Linda,
    Hope you are feeling some relief since you've been on the nerve medicine. It takes that medicine a week or two to really make a difference. I had to get on the nerve meds also after my L4-S1 surgery then was able to wean off of it further down the road like 6 months.  This time I was on Lyrica before surgery and am going to continue with it until I can be on my feet longer and see if leg pain comes back which shouldn't . Good luck and keep positive.
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.