advertisement
advertisement

Terrified of this Miami J-Collar--How Did you Handle it?!

I'm still working on appeals, but it looks like I'm going to lose on my ADR appeals and get stuck with an ACDF instead, which I'm already really upset about. I'm really sad, and really scared. I really, really didn't want the ACDF. Today they fit me for a hard Miami-J collar, in anticipation that I'll be stuck with the ACDF, and it's just terrible. I mean awful. I almost started crying right there. I didn't want to wear it for more than five minutes, and I'm supposed to wear it 24/7 for a full six weeks, and then two more weeks of weaning off wearing it. So a total of 8 weeks in this thing. Trust me, I double-checked that time frame with the surgeon, and that's what he requires. I just...I just have no idea how I'm going to handle it. How did any of you sleep in this monstrosity? I live in the desert, and it's already 90 degrees out in February, and on top of being incredibly uncomfortable, it's super hot. I was worried about the collar before, but then I thought I had a good chance of winning out my ADR appeals, but that's looking more slim. Now that I actually have the collar I'm freaking out even more. I hate it. I want to set this thing on fire, throw it in the garbage disposal, and then set the rest of my house on fire too, you know, just so this awful piece of equipment has no chance of surviving (I'm being incredibly hyperbolic, but you get the picture). 

I'm extremely worried about sleeping. I have issues sleeping normally anyway, and I couldn't lay down for more than a minute with this thing on without feeling like I was choking to death. 

What do I do? I'm terrified of being trapped in this thing for two months. 
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.