advertisement

In this Discussion

There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Swapping Medtronics Generator for Boston Scientific.....?

Hi All!
First post here but have long been lurking.  I'm posting on behalf of my significant other.  Much like everyone else, he has a long history with his back.  There is a LOT of history and background I can give, but I'm going to give you the abbreviated version of the last year. 

Status post spinal fusion at L4-5 in June 2015 for disc re-herniation and vertebrae subluxation.  The fusion has definitely offered much needed relief and he did excellently for about 6 weeks post-op.  He then had a sudden recurrence of LBP and left sided radiculopathy, we thought the worst:  another herniated disc or fusion hardware issues.   He was diagnosed with chronic L5 radiculopathy, manifesting as a burning left hip and into his thigh, he has numbness from his calf into his foot.  He often describes his foot as feeling like a cold, heavy block.  After a plethora of MRIs, CTs, prednisone bursts in addition to his typical pain meds and cortisone injections for troch bursitis, my SO underwent a successful SCS trial.  Less than a week after the trial ended, his permanent Medtronics paddle and generator were implanted.  Several reprogrammings later, they seemed to find a few programs that would offer good relief.  He then had more back pain and a completely new onset of right side hip pain, burning and pressure in his right calf.  The rep was able to get him some relief on the right side.  He has had approximately 7 appointments for programming with the Medtronics rep since 12/2015 when the device was implanted. 

We saw his physician again today.  After unsuccessful ESIs last month and because the current scs coverage in his back and hips is not high enough to help his pain, it was recommended that we consider swapping his Medtronics generator for a Boston Scientific.  It was explained to us that BS is able to offer greater coverage across his back and hips, in addition to his leg pain and numbness.  His physician has recently performed the same procedure on 2 other patients who have reported wild success with the BS stim.

His pain is intractable and debilitating.  His quality of life quite frankly sucks.  He can't sit or stand for more than 15 minutes at a time. Every single thing he does depends on his pain level. 

Have any of you swapped your Medtronics gear for BS?  What are your comparisons between the two?  What has your experience been with the BS SCS?  
At this point, we kind of feel like we have nothing to lose. Just looking for patients who have gone in this direction.

Thanks in advance!!
advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,241
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

Hello...
    While waiting for members with shared experiences, you may be interested in using the search on this site, upper right on page.
    Type in your concerns, ex..SCS, and you may be led to current or past discussions.
    And may be led to the medical side of the forums with articles and videos.

Usually when I search I find I have more questions to jot down for doctor.

Sue
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• advertisement
    Hello...
    While waiting for members with shared experiences, you may be interested in using the search on this site, upper right on page.
    Type in your concerns, ex..SCS, and you may be led to current or past discussions.
    And may be led to the medical side of the forums with articles and videos.

Usually when I search I find I have more questions to jot down for doctor.

Sue

Sign In or Join Us to comment.