advertisement
advertisement

Cervical posterior foraminotomy fusion with rods & screws ?

Hi everyone,

I am approaching my 3rd surgery in May 2016. I have had two ACDF within 5 years and the last one has not brought any relief, hence leaves me to this next surgery. I have had several opinions recently and all the doctors agree the need for more surgery. There is not a lot of posts pertaining to posterior surgeries of the neck, so anyone that has some info or guidance it would be greatly appreciated if you could share with me ! I feel the best medicine is being full aware and informed as much as possible!

Thanks for all the support this site has given me !

advertisement

Comments

• Hello Tracy

I had a mass affect on my spinal cord at c4-c5 & c6-c7 from vertebrae damage on my right rear neck which was causing me to limp with back, leg ,heel & neck pain.
    my surgeon didn't want to do mutiple ACDF's on my neck that that he thought would fail in the future 
    Also since my damage is in the rear 
    C3 - T1 posterior laminectomy with fusion, rods & screws. Oct 2014
    I still have all my disc's because damage was in the rear 
    my surgeon said I would start falling down and end up in wheelchair if I didn't get operation 
    I sent picture of my surgical scar
    they cut through your muscles and nerves in upper back- neck area so is longer rehab than ACDF

I wore a hard plastic Aspen collar for 3 months
    I walk and exercise everyday 
    I still have same pains as before surgery but my mobility is better

I'm an electrician at a automotive plant
    most of my work is computer diagnostic but sometimes I have to climb above or below large machinery 
    So I was off 8 months to get in better shape so that I don't fall down at work

My wife wanted me to retire but she is still working so I didn't want to sit home alone
    also my wife works at a hospital just like you , she's respiratory therapist 
  • Hopefully this will be your last surgery !

Good luck & God bless 
    Bill
  • advertisement
  • HI Bill,

Thanks for sharing your experience with me ! Wow, that is a pretty serious surgery and only the first time ! I am disappointed to hear you are still in pain though...So sorry for that !  Do you have the same level pain as before ??? That's not a good thing ! I have been in pain for 2 years and been taking Percocet to offset the pain. I have exhausted all the non invasive procedures with no success. Are you taking pain meds to help with your pain ? What level of pain would you rate your pain? Can you send me the pic of the incision of your neck ?

I had C5/6 ACDF in 2009 w/o hardware and C6/7 ACDF in 2015 with hardware but no relief from the second surgery. I did use the same surgeon but I feel he failed to listen to my concerns and as a result my pending 3rd surgery. I have had 3 separate opinions all leading to posterior laminectomy with fusion. I have serious compression on my spine at C5/6, possible failed union at C6/7 and instability at C4/5. The surgery would include all the problem areas in hopes of not repeating this again. It would be a PCDF with rods, pins & screws from C4-C7 and he said 4 months recovery, with 4 weeks hard collar and 4 weeks soft collar.

I am worried about recovery time and results working in the medical field makes it difficult to do light duty! LOL there is no such thing in my line of work. We work 12-15 hour shifts on your feet moving, bending and twisting with some heavy lifting up 50lbs. So for me I would need to be fully recovered to eliminate injury.

I really appreciate you sharing your experience with me ! If there is any advise you think I could use please do not hesitate to reach out to me !

Have a blessed evening !

Smiles,

Tracy

• Tracey

when I log on my surgical scar picture is displayed but when I log off my xray picture is displayed ??
    they changed the website about a month ago so maybe that's why ?

anyway I fell off my son's motor cycle and broke my right collar bone & shoulder blade scapula in 09"
    I recovered good but in 2011 the limping and constant pain started

C3-T1 PCLF in 2014 but I still have constant pain of 4 which doubles when I do strenuous activities 
    I take Tylenol & Tramadol 
    My surgeon gave me Percocet & Valium for 6 months after my surgery 
    Ive only used 1/2 of my meds so I still have pills left for bad days when I'm too active 
    I exercise on elipitical & push-ups, stretches everyday 
    Im evaluated as moderately disabled 
    but im slowly getting better !

Your gonna get better too

• Bubba3boys said:
    Tracey

when I log on my surgical scar picture is displayed but when I log off my xray picture is displayed ??
    they changed the website about a month ago so maybe that's why ?

anyway I fell off my son's motor cycle and broke my right collar bone & shoulder blade scapula in 09"
    I recovered good but in 2011 the limping and constant pain started

C3-T1 PCLF in 2014 but I still have constant pain of 4 which doubles when I do strenuous activities 
    I take Tylenol & Tramadol 
    My surgeon gave me Percocet & Valium for 6 months after my surgery 
    Ive only used 1/2 of my meds so I still have pills left for bad days when I'm too active 
    I exercise on elipitical & push-ups, stretches everyday 
    Im evaluated as moderately disabled 
    but im slowly getting better !

Your gonna get better too
    Thank you sooooo much ! One day at a time !
  • advertisement
  • For some reason I cant see your pics ??

• had a anterior and posterior c1 thru c7 fusion with all the appropriate rods and screws plus the attachment of my skull to the whole thing so basically my head and neck are one piece.  if you can check out piperbill in the forums and that tells the whole story.  But posterior means a longer healing time and because of the way they go in to the back, it means that the muscle and tissue displacement is dramatic. I was on some pretty heavy pain management for 6 weeks and then worked my way out of it, but must add that the muscle relaxers are something you do not want to wean off of to soon. those are large muscles and take longer to heal, common problems i see in the forums are spasms and some weakness in the arms, i had some trouble with the left arm but its coming back and 7 months later still have an occasional bout of muscle spasm and headache, longer periods between them each time, im told by my NS that it takes about 18 months to make the journey to healing and can expect some off and on discomfort on the way.  Im also told that the extent of my fusion is rare so data is hard to find. I am posting as i go to hopefully put some useful information out there, take care piperbill
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.