advertisement
advertisement
The Veritas Health Forum is moving! On September 30, 2020, this Forum will no longer be available. Please read important information about the changes here.

Pain and stiffness with the weather change

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I have recently found out I have OA of the spine with scoliosis. I also have arthritis in one hip and both knees. My question is every so often I go through these flare ups where I can't get out of bed? Do any of you experience this? Also I hurry in the cold weather bUT today I've been super stiff and it was 87* today. Does the stiffness work both ways with cold and heat? 
By the way, I'm 40 but I have been having these issues with my back for over 10 years. It took a lot of different docs to listen to me. Now I have a rheumatologist and  a physiatrist.
advertisement

Comments

• SavageSSavage United StatesPosts: 3,356
    edited 07/23/2019 - 1:08 PM
    hello virgoqueen!
    Welcome to Veritas Health Forumplease click on link for helpful information!
  • Max_LeeMax_Lee New York, United StatesPosts: 174
    edited 04/20/2016 - 9:29 AM
    Any big fluctuation in weather messes with my body. It doesn't matter which way it goes, it affects the body for some weird reason. 
    Welcome to the site!
    -Kieran
  • advertisement
  • NLTNNLT Pacific Northwest of USAPosts: 17
    ok, I have fibro, not arthritis but the weather totally messes with me. cold isn't too bad, but hot and humid is rotten. And changes in the weather.... I joke I'm a walking weather station because I can tell you when the weather is about to shift. 

ok, I will now cease to intrude on the arthritis section and wander off. ;P

• MaggieJMMaggieJ AustraliaPosts: 2
    Yes!  Before my OA developed to the point it is I used to "Pfffft" when I heard people with arthritis say the weather was changing, etc.  No more!  My bad knee in particular aches much worse when the weather turns cold.  Bit of a bummer as I love winter!
  • Yes, I  have arthritis in my hips and knees and whenever the weather changes drastically they become very painful for a few days.  
  • advertisement
  • WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 818
    For me its barometric pressure changes. If the pressure is changing its agony...if its stable its okay. I have rheumatoid and osteoarthritis and scoliosis from facet arthritis and ddd...the rheumatoid is in all my joints except the end ones of my fingers. The OA is in my spine and my hips and knees, wrists. The only thing apparently spared (for now) are my elbows oddly enough lol.  But yes...weather changes are not fun. And my ache starts as soon as the pressure changes start so it could be a beautiful day outside with stormy weather coming in the next day or two and i am painful....
    The one thing i have learned (i have had these for over 25 years) is just keep moving. Its going to hurt but if i stop then getting going again is even worse than it would have been to just keep moving. And heat for the osteo....cool for the rheumatoid. I love the cooler winter weather beause my RA flares less often....summers are better for osteo but the RA is worse.....
  • Changes in weather affect me a lot. The warmth isn't an issue, but even the slightest cold causes a lot of pain.
  • Weather plays a big part in my fibro pain and migraines. Any big weather swing and my aches and pains are all over the place. Today is pretty good its sunny and mid 60's. Loving it but dread the next few days lots of rain and colder weather moving in not going to be fun. I hate cold weather not a big fan of hot humid days either. Hard to find the in between. Then when weather is perfect and all is in harmony it doesn't last long then the pain cycle starts all over again. It's exhausting for sure. Even though I feel pretty good today I know to conserve energy that I will need in the next few days with crappy weather coming.

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.