advertisement
advertisement

May 2016 Surgical Buddies

Comments

• Good Luck!
  • larktollarkto ArkansasPosts: 10
    To all of you May surgery buddies,
    Thank you for your posts, and I like a lot of you feel that when you make the decision to have surgery you step into the unknown.  Reading all of your posts has really helped me these past three weeks.  I am determined to get past it (C4/5-5/6 ACDF on May 10th).  Although my arm pain and 99% of the numbness is gone, I have struggled with tiredness (not helped by going back to work probably too soon), and a swallowing/throat issue which is getting a little better each day.  I think the unknowns about this surgery and for me, not knowing anyone personally that had gone through this recovery  made it a little unsettling. I hope all of you are continuing to improve and I appreciate your positive attitudes as I know for me I believe it will help.  Continue to update so that we can all celebrate our recovery!!!
  • advertisement
  • Thanks Larkto ! To you as well ! You are back to work already ? That seems to be a bit early. This is my 3 rd surgery and the doc says 3-4 months and with my previous C5/6 & C6/7 I was out for 6 months and 4 months. That's great news ! But def listen to your body and continue to mindful of the fusion process takes quite a bit of time.. Good Luck and please continue to share your journey!

• larktollarkto ArkansasPosts: 10
    Joggerspirt, I should qualify the work comment as I did work four days last week and this week only two. I'm an educator and school ended last week. I feel much better this week ! 
    I am looking forward to my post op X-rays and appointment to see how well I am healing. I will be glad when I am 100% pain free from the surgery. Happy healing, y'all.
  • OH thank God you clarified that for me ! I was nervous for you ! I work in the medical field and there is no way I would be able to return to work that soon. I love the positive attitude ! Keep up the great work and keep me posted on your journey !
  • advertisement
  • Hi, first time posting. I am a little over 4 weeks out, ACDR at C4-5 and C5-6 and ACDF at C6-7 on May 31st. I have so many questions. I am 36 years old with 2 small children. My doctor said at 2 week post op visit, I am ahead of the curve. Whatever that means, I feel like everything I do sucks the energy right out of me, still getting migraines most mornings. Started manual PT late last week. Therapist said it would take a while for my muscles to unlearn, or retrain them not to feel the need to protect the discs anymore. Ugh, the migraines are the worst, almost as bad as sleeping. I fear the nights. I know I made the right choice but I am feeling defeated, like I am not healing fast enough. What is the typical time? Is there a typical healing period? I have read in these forums 2 weeks to 6 months. I think I am putting extra pressure on myself as I feel like I am just a lousy mother as I can't do what I used to be able to. I guess, I just want to make a friend that knows what I am going through. I started working remotely from home but feel like that's exhausting and I am probably dropping balls all over the place. I am usually focused, motivated, driven and I am feeling nothing. It's like I can't give 100% to any aspects of my life, anyway, hope everyone is healing well and comfortably. Best wishes and thanks for reading...
  • CandyDCCandyD WisconsinPosts: 30
    NoVaVSIpatient, I just saw your post because just today noticed there is a May surgery buddies forum. I wanted to say that 4 weeks out is not very far. I was still in the pits at that time. Have you figured out what is causing the headaches? 
  • NoVaVSIpatient,

Hi ! Sorry to hear you are struggling but I have to say all you are dealing with is quiet normal. You have been through a serious surgery! Imagine all the time before surgery until now, your body has been through so so much ! It will take time to recoup and recover. The only way to do this is to take it easy on yourself ! There will be days that you are on top of the world only to wake up the next morning being defeated. All normal ! Time is speculative and not everyone's journey are the same. Just know you are in the right place and that we are here for you in the good and bad...

Can you share what got you to the place of surgery? Is this your first surgery? I am now 10 weeks post-op and I will be returning to work in about two weeks ! This is my 3rd surgery with the best recovery ! My first surgery C5/6 took 6 months before I could go back to work! The second surgery never took the pain away, so I was in pain for over 2 years only resulting in the last surgery! So I had two surgeries in just alitte over a year ! My body, mind and spirit needed an overhaul ! it takes time to retrain all of those things ! Hang in there !

Sleeping for me is still an issue but I take it one day at a time !

Please keep us posted on your recovery! I will be thinking of you and sending you positive thoughts and prayers !

• CandyDCCandyD WisconsinPosts: 30
    How is everyone doing? Three months out from the surgery....big difference.....feel much closer to normal. Shoulders and neck still feel a bit stiff and there is some slight tenderness when I turn my head to the side. I can drive but must twist my body along with turning my head to get the rotation I need to look behind. Sometimes I just want to sit and relax my neck and shoulders, but usually I'm fairly active.
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.