advertisement
advertisement

Vitamins etc to aid recovery from discectomy

I guess this could also apply to a herniation since both effectively expose/remove the outer annulus which so many say means the disk will never be as strong that side (studies,  proof?)

Anyway, as to the recovery this is my stack;

Solar VM 2000
Extra vitamin C 5 grams
Extra Vit D
B complex
Chelated multi minerals
Zinc picolate
Magnesium citrate
Super cirrus
Bisweila 
Ashawangara 
Fish oils 8 grams

advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 2,269
    edited 07/29/2019 - 11:12 AM
    Members

Warning: Before you try any supplement, herb, over the counter item, exercise
    program, mechanical aid, brace, etc always consult with your doctor
    to make sure you get their approval.
    Some of these products may be very effective, but no two individuals or
    medical conditions are alike. What works for one, may cause trouble for
    another..

• MrIMMrI United KingdomPosts: 46
    Liz, all of these medicines are what I've taken before and been fine with but thank you. The only one I take way more than the rda for is Vit C 
  • advertisement
  • hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 809

Alister

More than taking handfulls of vitamin supplements you need to get your back muscle strength back to normal via a good PT program.  Your doctor will advise you when post-op you can start a PT program.  Prior to an actual formal PT program you should walk every day as this will help regain the strength in your back and core muscles.  Start small and slowly work your way up to 45-60 mintues as your body is able to handle it without any stress or discomfort.

hvills said:

Alister

More than taking handfulls of vitamin supplements you need to get your back muscle strength back to normal via a good PT program.  Your doctor will advise you when post-op you can start a PT program.  Prior to an actual formal PT program you should walk every day as this will help regain the strength in your back and core muscles.  Start small and slowly work your way up to 45-60 mintues as your body is able to handle it without any stress or discomfort.

Thank you hvills,  trust me when I tell you I will be taking PT seriousely and in fact yesterday took my first stroll in the park. A little awkward with drop foot but I felt the benefit nonetheless. I Have for 27 years been an active sportsman which has always included weightlifting and while of course one has to re adjust and accept certain limitations going forwards, I am initially well placed to create a gentle strengthening programme once my disk is healed with enough integrity to permit. I will probably begin with swimming after another couple of weeks. Yo give an example of the level I was previously at, see attached video of one of my previous lifts. Suffice to say this won't be on the programme for a long while
  • hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 809

Alister

I hope you understand that after your discectomy your disc will not heal in the traditional sense.  Whatever portion of your disc the surgeon cuts off will NOT grow back... it will only scar over.  So that disc will be the weak link in the chain so to speak in your back for the rest of your life... and will be vulnerable to further damage.   Going back to heavy weight lifting will likely only cause more back problems for you in the future... and likely was the cause of your back problems in the first place.  Swimming on the other hand should be a great  PT for your back once your doctor clears you.  I swim almost every day and always feel better both physcially and emotionally afterwards... not to mention it's a pretty good cardio workout for an old guy like me.

• advertisement
    Thanks hvills,

I can't say weightlifting is ti blame when I've been doing it 27 years. I just think I had a disk bulge that worsened with ddd. I'll speak with my surgeon but if the disk that was sticking out has been removed, then once healed, it's no longer jamming my sciatic system so I don't see a problem resuming resistance training etc so long as it's done carefully. To the contrary tge worse thing I could do is become a couch potatoes and lose that musculoskeletal muscle system I have in place that supports me.
  • LizLiz Posts: 2,269
    edited 05/03/2016 - 4:56 AM
    MRl
    I put 'members' at the top of my warning. What you take is your choice and responsibility but other members need to know it may NOT be safe for them and need to take advice before they consider your list.
    Well the vits have worked great very little swelling and the incision wound has healed much faster than the nurses expected
  • I took Arnica several days before surgery and continue to do so 12 days post.  The nurse could not believe how well I had healed and u have no bruising whatsoever, same when I had my C section.

k8t said:
    I took Arnica several days before surgery and continue to do so 12 days post.  The nurse could not believe how well I had healed and u have no bruising whatsoever, same when I had my C section.

I'm healing pretty well now but thank you. I've also added fish oil
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Join Us to comment.