advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement
New members: Please read our Code of Conduct before submitting your first post.
Learn how to use the Veritas Health Forum: Take the System Tutorial

Hello New Member Here

Hello everyone, I am 43 years old and have been suffering with back issues since about 34 years old  I have always been in good shape and enjoy sports and eating healthy but my back has not enjoyed my healthy lifestyle

According to my MRI and my doctor last week my state right now is
At least L4/5 and L5/S1 (2 disces due bad conditions) but L3/4 is not healthy and possibly a problem later
on

I used to play racket sports eveyr day, golf, hockey but about 5 years ago I gave that all up.  I only do controlled weight lifting (when I Say controlled I mean i do exercises that do not hurt my back) I swim and I walk.

Day to day if I am careful I am pretty much pain free but certain things can cause my problems
1. Sitting down especially if I sit cross legged
2. Sitting on the toilet as I sink down a bit is brutal
3. Sleeping on my stomach
4. Any quick motion such ffrom sports etc

I have tried a lot on my own such as stretching and working on my core but often working on my core ends up in my back going out.  When my back does go out I am usually slanted to the side and the pain is much worse sitting.  I tighten up a lot and find it hard to walk etc.. However Walking and using the elepitical actually helps loosen it back up, and by the end of the walk I can feel pretty good, but it will tighten up soon after if I dont keep on moving.

My present doctor wants to di spinal fusion but I have to admit I am not to keen on doing this.  Need to hear experience from others
I been starting to do
1. Drink much more water
2. Started to sleep on the floor on my back
3. I also have been considering trying Spinal decompression therapy (the non surgical version ) and also an inversion table.

Well that is a little about me

Somethings I really like to know are
1. Has anyone had an success in actually regeneratiing discs (healing them) using steps like spinal decompression therapy or inversion table
2. Also would like to know if one didnt do spinal surgery and things got worse what is my future... can one become paralyzed ?  My doctor said it is possible..

I hate my back, but I am sur e many of you are in the same boat as me. 

Love to hear your thoughts and thanks!

advertisement

Comments

• SooveritSooverit Finger Lakes region of NYPosts: 459
    "Day to day if I am careful I am pretty much pain free"

Wow. I can't even imagine that. I would give anything to stop this pain....even for just a couple hours a day.

I'm glad you don't have to suffer much, though it's a huge bummer to have to give up things you love in order to prevent pain :(

If it gives you so little trouble, why would you have surgery?
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,188
    edited 07/23/2019 - 1:08 PM
    hello morbius!
    Welcome to Veritas Health Forum
    please click on link for helpful information!
  • advertisement
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,188
    Hello morbius.....
    I am curious, have you had any other opinions?
    Having a couple other doctors take a look at your situation may give you guidance and help you to be comfortable with your decision.

While you are waiting for other members with shared experiences to reply, you may be interested in using the search on this site, upper right on page.
    Typing in your concerns, ex....regenerating discs......you may be led to current or older discussions.
    You may also be led to the medical side, with articles and videos..very much information.
  • morbiusmmorbius canadaPosts: 3
    edited 05/11/2016 - 6:29 AM
    hi Guys

1, I probably shouldnt say I am pain free as I seem to have a high tolerance for pain now.  What I was saying is if I am super careful and barely do anything I mentioned that blows my back I am okay.. but I can always feel my back is tense and ready to blow.  Also I occasional sharp pains when I do a movement I shouldn't be doing such as sitting on an angle etc... I am so aware of what blows my back now that I can feel when it is coming and can adjust myself... I Am just tired of living my life on edge and when I do things out of the routine that is when my back really has issues such as going on a trip which results in sitting on an airplane, sleeping in a new bed, trying new things .. so hard on my back...

2. I have seen about 5 doctors over the last 3 years, 3 of them said don't do anything besides strengthening your core, eating right, staying healthy and keep away from things that effect your back.. while the other 2 doctors are on the other side of things saying, if you want your life back you got to do fusion, my last visit was 2 weeks ago and he compared my MRI from 5 years ago to now and things have gotten worse, he was a doctor that says to fuse, but says i dont have to do it, but will have a better quality of life if I do.. i am skeptical of that as there seems to be so many never get spinal fusion posts out there

Right now I am looking into
    1. Spinal decompression (non surgery version)
    2. Taking a Glucosamine + chondroitin + MSM supplement - just started that today as I hear  it has helped people restore the fluids around the discs
    3. Also looking into trying hydraulic acid as I hear it does the same thing (waiting on order for this)
    4. Also been talking to the Regenexx people at their stem cell and plasma options though not sure if that is just a bunch of voodoo magic right now, wont commit to anything until i research it more
    5. Plus sleeping on the floor now, first few nights was tough but seem to be getting used to it, noticed in the morning my back is not as sensitive as it used to be which is a good thing, but perhaps a bit more overall stiff, not totally sleeping on the floor got a small yoga mat and a couple blankets but its pretty close to the floor

• Wow I can't imagine sleeping on the floor. I don't know how you do it. Hope things turn out well for you.
  • advertisement
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.