advertisement
advertisement

How long does your IR medication last?

For a while I was on hydrocodone-apap 10/325 and switched to oxycodone-apap 10/325 a few months ago. Both last about 3 hours for me. I can't take an extended release medication because it causes hyperalgesia. So it kind of sucks because I take my medication every 4-6hrs and my ability to use other pain modalities is limited due to other medical conditions, although I use them when possible. I have an incredibly fast metabolism; the doctor and I believe that's what's contributing to the short-life of the medication. How long do your IR (instant release) medications work for you?
advertisement

Comments

• William GarzaWilliam Garza TexasPosts: 1,923
    edited 07/23/2019 - 1:08 PM
    Welcome to Veritas Health Forum GM12

I was in the same boat.
    IR lasted around 1-2 hrs
    Er around 3 to 4- 5 if lucky.
    I metabolized anethesia the same way
    I hope you find the answers you are seeking!
  • SooveritSooverit Finger Lakes region of NYPosts: 397
    I take norco 5/325. It lasts for 3 hours max. When I take a tramadol with it, it lasts longer- 4-5 hours. The tramadol alone is not very effective for my pain, but has a synergistic effect with the norco. Gives it a boost and lasts longer. But I hate tramadol. Ironically, it gives me a "high" feeling, which the norco does not at all :/

If I eat, the norco starts wearing off within 20 minutes...even if I just took it an hour before. 

I took nucynta IR for a week, and it was also only effective for 2-3 hours (I had terrible side effects from it, as well).
  • advertisement
  • Interesting, Sooverit that's how the soma works for me. Barely does anything on its own but it gives the Norco/Percocet a boost. 

I have been an active member for quite some time now. But thanks William. 

Well, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. I mean the situation sucks and I don't want anyone else to be in pain, but it's reassuring to know I'm not the only one whose body reacts this way. 
Sign In or Join Us to comment.