advertisement
advertisement

One month down

I'm on week 5 since 360 fusion on levels l4-s1. Recovery is going really well I think, but how long does it usually take before you're back to being yourself? By that I mean, being able to watch your kids play ballgames without having to come back and lay down because of being so sore. I live an hour from any town, so even getting groceries is a pain. Usually at least 3 hours to get there and back, and really sore afterwards. I feel great while not doing much, but it seems like I can't do much of anything for very long. I'm 32 and this sitting around is for the birds. I'm so ready to go back to life but my body won't quite let me yet. Have any of you guys that have had this type of surgery played sports afterwards? I love softball and basketball but I've wondered how this surgery will effect that. I'm a huge auto race guy. Drag, dirt track, ATV, I've done it all and I know for the most part this is probably an end to those but i didn't know about the others. Anyone have any advice? If not thanks for listening to me rant lol.
advertisement

Comments

• hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 809

Cole

Come on now... patience... patience.  You had a BIG surgery and recovery is going to take a longggg time.  Bones  fuse in months NOT weeks.  Back muscles and nerves also take months to recover.  You're going to feel sore from sitting, walking, and standing until you fully fuse as your spine isn't yet solid and all the loads of your upper body weight are pushing against the rods and screws.   It took me 12 months to get back to "normal" but hopefully with your age you will go faster.  You MUST still obey the no BLT rules even if you are feeling better. DON'T push it... you will regret it... this is a marathon not a sprint.  It's very important to get yourself into the right mindset... be happy you are out of pain.    Are you off all the pain meds???   How much daily walking are you doing???   

• Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,340
    I agree with Harry and will add celebrate the improvements.  Focus on that and not on being anxious to get it over with.
  • advertisement
  • Taking one pain med around noon and two at bedtime. Walking around three times a day. I figure if I could've not went to my daughters ballgames this week I could've been down to one a day. The long rides and sitting in the stands put me back a little I think because afterwards I was sure bad sore. It made for some rough nights.
  • I will add Mr.Hvills and this site has been a Godsend and a true blessing  for me . Thank you all for your support. Every doctor needs to recommend this site to their patients .

• Well shoot, little bit of regression last night again!!
  • advertisement
  • I was wiping my dairy-air last night and I got a tremendous pain down the entire length of my back on my right side (I'm right handed). It went away right as soon as I straightened up but I'm really sore there now. It felt as if the muscles just gave away and that is the soreness I feel now, kinda like a pulled muscle. This marathon is getting aggravating! Seems like I'm always having some small something that takes me backwards. Have any of you guys ever used the bone stimulator belt thing? I was told it was painless and for the most part it is, but afterwards it makes me feel a little sore and sick at my stomach plus a really bad metallic taste in my mouth. Anyone else have these symptoms with this? This idle time is bad for me also. I catch myself reading and pondering about all the what ifs. I didn't even really consider this surgery failing because of it not fusing. Is this something that I should be concerned about, does it happen often? Is there any one thing that could make this not fuse? 
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,340
    32racingjunkie:

Don't give up, only 5 weeks so don't expect to have fused yet.  At 3 months, my x-ray shows fusion is happening, but not yet fused.  I'm looking forward to my next x-ray early next month (7 months).

You will have ups and downs for the at least the next year.  Use those downs to learn what you can do and more important can't.  The cant's should decrease over time as you heal.

For the last year, including pre and post surgery, I have had a problem were my muscles occasionally tighten up more that I expect based on what I am doing.  I didn't have this 2 years ago.  I wonder if this is similar to what you experienced with your back muscles.  Hurts like heck, but goes away quick.

I am using a bone growth stimulator.  I did notice muscle feelings when I started using it, but haven't noticed anything for the last couple of months.  Never tasted metal.

Kimmy72:

Yeah!!!!   Great news about starting to fuse!
  • hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 809

Cole

We all have had days even weeks of doubting our fusion... certainly I went through many a day worrying about it... it's perfectly normal and it certainly makes for lots of pent up anxiety... but when you get to the end of the road with a good fusion you will realize it was all for not.  So I know it's easy to say and hard to do... but DON'T worry about your fusion taking or not taking.  There is very little you can do to screw it up other than smoking or taking NASIDS... but for sure wiping your bum is NOT going to mess up what your doctor has done.   At 5 weeks you are NOWHERE near a failed fusion... in fact the fusion has barely started.  For someone who is young and healthy like you the fusion process is almost guaranteed... but you have to have patience... it's a SLOW process. Your bum wipe pain is just your muscles trying to sort themselves out from all the surgery trauma and like Bruce said you are going to see such "flare-ups" off and on for quite some time to come... or at least until everything inside you regarding your muscles and nerves calms down to the new norm.  Try not to over think it and go for a nice walk with your daughter and enjoy the lovely day and celebrate your improving health... according to Google it's 80 plus degrees there in Oaklahoma today and the skies are sunny... fantastic!!

• nessa59nnessa59 Posts: 4
    edited 05/10/2016 - 1:58 AM
    Hiya.  I had my 360 fusion a few years ago. Looking back I think the best way to describe a 360 is to say It's like havinga c-section and back surgery at once. My Spinal Neuro-Surgeon x-rayed me at each appointment. At 6 months he told me bones looked fused but wouldn't be fully fused until a year had passed. The first few months post 360 sucked for me but by the 4th month I felt tons better, and was walking 1.5 to 2 miles a day.  I remember being afraid i'd never feel better.  Things got better with each passing week. Today I was  scheduled for a multi-level Anterior amd Posterior Cervical Fusion  (I have degenerative disc disease).  I had a few years with no pain and I think choosing to follow my neuro surgeons post surgery instructions had a huge impact on the solid fusion.  Your body has been through a huge surgery and you've made it through a whole month of post op pain.   
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.