advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

How many of you had a bone growth stimulator ordered by your doctor

Only to have your insurance deny coverage? My lumbar spine doctor got me a bone growth stimulator for my lumbar spine but my cervical spine doctor has been trying for months to get a cervical bone growth stimulator approved with no success. My lumbar fusion doctor said that Cigna always denied cervical bone growth stimulators. I don't understand why....would they rather pay for another surgery and that much more physical therapy?
Jennifer
advertisement

Comments

• Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 603
    I guess I was lucky that work comp paid for mine? They also covered my other Tens Unit called an H-Wave. I had to use that after my shoulder surgery. 
    Is there a way you can appeal your insurance company? 

• my lumbar fusion doctor said that cigna always denied cervical bone growth stimulators. i don't understand why....would they rather pay for another surgery and that much more physical therapy?
    jennifer

probably because they don't believe they work.  personally, i think they are snake oil.  i am 6 months out of level 8 lumbar fusion and fused.  i used cadaver bone instead of my own bone (which theoretically would have fused faster).  my doctor asked a few times if i wanted to use a stimulator and i told him i'd rather stand in the middle of stonehenge during a thunderstorm; he laughed but got the picture.  now if i'd used it someone would have ascribed my successful fusion to the "device".  during healing i stayed as active as possible -- good blood flow, etc.  now i'm back on my motorcycle, mountain bike... i'm 69. 
  • advertisement
  • All I know is my lumbar spine is fusing and I have a bone growth stimulator for it and that my neck is not fusing and contains broken equipment and I don't have a bone growth stimulator for my neck. It could be the different surgeons or the fact that I wasn't eating animal protein at first or even that I was taking methotrexate like I was supposed to according to my surgeon whereas my good surgeon took me off it for three months and then another three months....
    Jennifer
  • I have some of my own bone in my neck and some cadaver bone.
  • My doctor said that blue cross denies bone growth stimulaters for the cervical spine.  I was very surprised when I went for my two week post op appointment and the doctor was able to get approval for the bone growth stimulator.  
  • advertisement
  • That's fantastic!
    Jennifer
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.