advertisement
advertisement

First time out post-op exhaustion!

I'm 2.5 weeks post op from 2 level open Disectomy and Laminectomy. Yesterday I was feeling pretty good and was dying to get out of the house so my husband took me to the movies. Our movie theater has recliners so I thought it was the perfect first outing. A bit of a long walk to the theater itself but after the movie my husband picked me up by the nearest exit. Last night I was feeling a bit more sore but not terrible. Today is a whole different story...I'm exhausted! Sore too but I'm having a hard time physically keeping my eyes open and have been in bed all day. 
Is this normal??? Anyone else experience this after an outing? 
advertisement

Comments

• Hwy jodieddieo.
    Glad to hear you got out and about!

When i plan for an outing..i plan for the recuperation time as well. Adding stress to already stressed components will compound i think the total days exertion.
  • hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 809

Jodi

It's pretty common to have low energy levels and to feel sluggish for several weeks or even a month or more after surgery... we've all been there.  The anesthesia and surgery is something that tends to be really rough on your body and it drains your reserves... and your body needs time to get back to normal.     Don't worry about the exhaustion... just roll with it... after awhile your energy levels will recover.   The one thing you should be doing however and I would guess your doctor told you... was to walk every day.   It doesn't have to be a lot at first and it may be easier to break it up into 2 or 3 chunks... but it is one of the best things you can do for your recovery and rebuilding your strength.  Start small and build it up step by step.

• advertisement
  • Rest when your body tells you to.....don't push yourself too hard.
    Jennifer
  • jodieddieojjodieddieo Royal Oak, MIPosts: 16
    edited 07/29/2019 - 12:31 PM
    Thank you all for your comments! Yes, walking but so far been mostly around the house. I'm home alone during the day and with my numb foot, not confident outside alone yet. I have a cane and am doing better so hoping to get outdoors tomorrow. 
     I like the deposits/withdrawals analogy. Puts it in perspective.
    Thanks again everyone - this site has been a godsend! 
  • I am almost 2 weeks post op from the same surgery and I am experiencing the same levels of exhaustion as you. I have started taking a powerful multivitamin supplement called Alive, max energy, and that has helped a bit with my energy levels. It does not have caffeine in it but lots of B vitamins, including B12. Hang in there and good luck! 
  • advertisement
  • jodieddieojjodieddieo Royal Oak, MIPosts: 16

kmarie612 said:
    I am almost 2 weeks post op from the same surgery and I am experiencing the same levels of exhaustion as you. I have started taking a powerful multivitamin supplement called Alive, max energy, and that has helped a bit with my energy levels. It does not have caffeine in it but lots of B vitamins, including B12. Hang in there and good luck! 
    Thanks Kmarie612! Come to think of it, I haven't been taking my vitamin D that I normally take. 
    Good luck to you too! We'll have to keep each other posted on our recovery. 
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.