advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Doctor said to take OTC meds?

Hi everyone. This is my first post but I do frequently read up on what's happening in this discussion. I have been on worker's compensation since I herniated a disc on 7/8/14. I have had PT, two sets if ESIs, and am waiting in approval for a SCS. (I have been waiting since the judge ordered it in October 2015) Anyway, I was prescribed 50 mg tramadol in August  (40 pills) and refilled in January 2016. I currently have 32 left as I only take them when I can't take the edge off. After having a horrible pain filled weekend I called today to refill as I am leaving for vacation next week. The doctor said he won't fill and I need to take something over the counter and see if my primary will prescribe it. Unfortunately my primary won't take worker's comp. Anyone know why this wasn't refilled? I'm really confused as I'm waiting on SCS for pain and it's the fault of insurance not me. 
advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,241
    hello cabrandon4 !
    welcome to spine-health
    please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• dilauroddilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,303
    Did you ask the doctor why they will not refill the prescription?
    Thats really the only way to get an answer.   Based on what you told us, last filled 01/16 and you have 32 out of 40 remaining.  So, you did overtake them for sure.

Has to be another reason
  • advertisement
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,241
    Hello...
    You said your doctor won't prescribe and referred you to your primary doctor.
    Does that mean initially, your prescribing doctor is pain management doctor?
    And you last saw this doctor August, 2015?

I agree with Ron, above, it best to ask doctor.
    And I was curious, if doctor may want to see you, an appointment, before refills....?

Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• His nurse was the one who called me with the information. He is my spine surgeon who wants to implant the SCS. Unfortunately we have been fighting with worker's compensation since Ictober when it was court ordered. I can't just see another doctor as its not allowed  under WC. I just saw the spine doctor on 3/28 so he knows nothing has changed. I'm contacting my attorney this morning. They can't just NOT treat me at all. I'm just so frustrated. 
  • dilauroddilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,303
    Again, you need to talk to the doctor to get the reason behind this.
    Without that , you really have nothing to go on, but you are not getting a refill
  • advertisement
  • Well I spoke with the office today. My doc us a spine surgeon and because I still have not had my surgery he can't prescribe any more meds for me due to Massachusetts crackdown on pain med prescriptions. I emailed my attorney to find out our next steps. Keep me in your prayers as I continue this fight with WC. 
  • SooveritSooverit Finger Lakes region of NYPosts: 459
    Hmmm. I do know surgeons can't rx pain meds until they do surgery. Also, if he hasn't seen you in a while, it would make sense to not fill a med without an appt (that could not be justified to WC).

Why can't you see your primary or call them for a refill? Tramadol is not a highly controlled medication. It is controlled, but not at the level of opiods like vicoden, norco, etc.

Sorry...don't know the WC process, so I may not be getting something basic. 

I'd call my primary.
  • My primary care won't accept worker's comp insurance. My attorney said I will probably have to change my doctor. I received a notice that my next hearing is on 6/28. Apparently this judge averages a year before issuing her ruling. Ugh!
  • SooveritSooverit Finger Lakes region of NYPosts: 459
    Omg! That's ridiculous! 

Just going to casually suggest looking up pain cream compounding. I thought of it because I read that it is particularly popular in WC cases.

You may want to contact one of the providers and tell them your situation. 

I'm sorry you are dealing with such a frustrating situation :(
  • Thank you. I have never heard of that before. I will definitely look into it!
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.