advertisement

In this Discussion

There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement

7 week post op

twy715ttwy715 tnPosts: 5
edited 05/18/2016 - 4:17 PM in Recovering from Surgery
I had a laminectomy and PLIF at L5 S1 for spondylolisthesis 7 week ago. I am 49yo female in good health that had suffered with rt leg pain for years. I am a nurse. The pain finally got so bad I couldn't walk for more than a couple of minutes without sitting to get relief. Although I was terrified I finally gave in and had surgery. 
Before my surgery I did a lot of reading on these boards and was prepared for the no BLTs. My incision is about 3 inches long. When I was discharged from the hospital I was told to walk 3 times a day and that I could do moderate bending and twisting. So for a couple of weeks I tried not to bend or twist much. After 2 weeks though I was walking 3 miles day, driving and pretty much doing anything I  wanted except for lifting over 10 pounds.  I do have pain on rt side of low back/upper hip when I walk/stand too much. Has anyone else been told they can do moderate bending/twisting as soon as they came home?  My d/c instructions said just because something hurts doesn't mean it's bad for you.  Just makes me nervous when I have pain that maybe I shouldn't have listened to my dr. I need to go back to work at 12 weeks post op which scares me, but financially it's a must. I have done so well I think my family forgets I had surgery not so long ago lol. My leg pain is gone. I wish I hadn't been so afraid and would have done this years ago. 
advertisement

Comments

• hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 992

Twyla

At 7 weeks you have a LOT more healing to do before your fusion is strong and permanent... you need to cointinue to obey the BLT rules.  Don't risk messing up the good work your doctor has done... it's not worth it.  If it hurts DON'T do it... that is just good common sense.   You're doing good... keep up the dailly walking... it's the best thing for you can do for your recovery.

Harry - 65 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
Sign In or Join Us to comment.