advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement
New members: Please read our Code of Conduct before submitting your first post.
Learn how to use the Veritas Health Forum: Take the System Tutorial

TLIF hello

Hello, I had a TLIF surgery with Expidium systems, connecting Th11-Th12-L1-L2 to make better severe rotational scoliosis and make spine stable. The condition I had was life threatening and I am here to see what kinds of experience people had with spine fusion.

Best, Nicholas
Kristijan (33)

St. post vertebrosynthesis transpedicularis Th11-Th12-L1-L2 sec Expidium, Stabilization (10.5.2016.)
Scoliosis THL Gravis (as of age od 13)
Protrusio disci L3/L4
Osteochondrosis
Radiculopathia C6C7 bill, C8Th1 dec, L3L4 i L5S1 bill
Hemangioma Th8
Sy CC et CB
Sy thoracale
Sy LS chr

advertisement

Comments

• Thx! I did not know it was life threatening untill 2 days after surgery. Surgeon find the situation as it was when opened me. Then, he pressed Th11 who just dropped inside of my body... He called one additional professor of neurosurgery and 2 more assistants and then 5 hours of hard work begun for them. He waited until I passed the most severe pain to tell me. But he doubted that MR scan may not be very accurate and that probably the condition was worse so he advised to go for a surgery earlier than planned. I thought that I will make it until September this year, but after coming back home from Ireland, I couldn't get up from bed and also had tremenous pain. I had surgery 10 days later.

Kristijan (33)

St. post vertebrosynthesis transpedicularis Th11-Th12-L1-L2 sec Expidium, Stabilization (10.5.2016.)
    Protrusio disci L3/L4
    Osteochondrosis
    Hemangioma Th8
    Sy CC et CB
    Sy thoracale
    Sy LS chr

•  I had a TLIF with instrumentation for a recurring disc herniation and instability (retrolisthesis) in my lumbar spine. Recovery was slow and the surgery was technically a success, but my pain became worse. I have permanent nerve damage and a lot of scar tissue and was told further surgery would be inadvisable. I hope things get better and that you have a complete recovery from the fusion. 
    Ol' Spiney..Micro-D L4-L5, TLIF L4-S1 -post op central HNP L4-S1,stenosis, retrolisthesis, EF, facet arthropathy, lumbar& cervical DDD. FBSS- Medtronic pain pump & SCS
  • advertisement
  • Nicholas_IINNicholas_II CroatiaPosts: 65
    edited 06/26/2016 - 9:20 AM
    I am sorry that it didn't go well for you Meydey. I have a friend who has the similar problem after the instrumentation surgery in L5-S1 because she got a lot of scar tissue that started to compress nerve root again. Now, she had to go for a second surgery and we all hope she will recover with no more scar tissue. Is there any other alternative, except taking pills? I was living more than 20 years with chronic pain, and of them last three were a nightmare, so I know how it feels when you have pills only as a remedy. :(

Kimmy72, the emotional effect was and is still strange. Most of people know in advance that they may die, but I got told when life was saved so there was no fear. But still, I often think what would be if I didn't go for a surgery and how it would look like. Most probably it would all just collapse and break aorta, suddenly. While recovery is ongoing (6+ weeks now), I have still ups and downs which is normal, pain is not yet over and sometimes I have emotional problems. Like I am in a slight state of ongoing shock. It will last some time and I was warned about that. Perhaps when I finally fit in the "new" body and start feeling completely comfortable it will pass.
    Kristijan (33)

Protrusio disci L3/L4
    Osteochondrosis
    Hemangioma Th8
    Sy CC et CB
    Sy thoracale
    Sy LS chr

• I don't know anything about scar tissue. I feel well around the scar, except that most ugly pain is now connected to some muscles between ribs at the left side. It is perhaps now these muscles got strecthed after scoliosis repaired while they spent more that 20 years in different position. 

As for dying, I agree fully. The birth is a cause of all deaths. ;) But people are not concerned with that constantly (excluding those having specific psychological disorders) since our brain removes concern in order to make us functioning. When we are threatened by dead in an exact period of time then all of the sudden it is revealed that it may happen. I wished to die when having chronic pain. I even planned suicide and one tried to do it with pills, but with no success since I did not take enough dosage. My emotions re life at that time were completely flat. The history records say that Queen Anne of England died in bad pain and her doctor later said: "I believe sleep was never more welcome to a weary traveller than death was to her." But when the hope came again that perhaps I could of get rid of pain I was completely focused to get cured and if I did know in advance that condition is so serious that I may die, it would for sure put me in turmoil. 
    Kristijan (33)

Protrusio disci L3/L4
    Osteochondrosis
    Hemangioma Th8
    Sy CC et CB
    Sy thoracale
    Sy LS chr

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.