advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
New members: Please read our Code of Conduct before submitting your first post.
Learn how to use the Veritas Health Forum: Take the System Tutorial

New Here Cervical and lumbar Disc Problems should i have surgery and what types

Hello all here my name is Angel and i have been reading a lot on this forum i am learning a lot from everyone experiences. I have currently have a choice now deciding what to do for my current situation. I have an appt to meet with a nero surgeon for the first time. In April 2015 i had a car accident nothing extreme but since then my neck and back pain have gone from bad to worst. prior to that i have been able to manage with the pain with PT and meds(Tramadol), creams etc.. My doctors all express that since my nerve tests do not reveals any nerve damage or pinching , they do not think surgery is needed. Since i have been dealing with my pain for many years it flares up once in a while and last for a few months. My question is, is it worth having the surgery during one of my flare ups so they can pin point the problem areas and fix it. or do wait for the time when the flare up becomes a permanent problem and then fix it, since my car accident i have had 3 epidurals in my lumbar and 2 in my neck. I felt great afterwards but was on light duty at work. Going back to work for just one day at full duty brought all the pain and symptoms back. For my neck i have constant tension and theirs a spot on the left of C5-C6 that when i press with my fingers sends a shooting pain down the left shoulder and shoulder blade to the left bicep it feels like a pinching pain. I can also stretch my neck in certain positions and duplicate the shooting pain. There is also constant pinching pain in my right shoulder blade which sometimes makes my right arm weak. I have been to 3 nero doctors and they cant seem to figure out whats causing the pain since none of the nerves are pinched or damaged and the othro doctor does not feel its muscle related Now in my lumbar i have constant pain right in the back if i sleep for longer than 6 hours i wake up with such pain i have to wait for my meds to kick in before i can go about my normal day. on occasion i have some pain going down my right hip. Both of the bottom of my feet have been numb for years now. The Mri i have had in june of 2015 has shown that in my Cervical spine i have C2-3 3 has bulging compressing the anterior dural sac, C3-4 has right lateral disc protrusion causing neuroforaminal stenosis, in C4-5 and C5-6  has bulging without neural compression, C6-7 has left lateral disc protrusion casuing left neuroforaminal stenosis. The MRI of my lumbar shows i have in L5-S1 has 3mm central disc herniation causing  indentation on the anterior dural sac. It sucks to have to live with this pain for years i feel that having surgery would help me to get rid of some of it if not all of it and i can finally stop taking the meds for the pain in order to function. Any input would be great in helping me decide what to do next. if anyone an relate to the the symptoms and has had success with any treatment any info would be great as well. I have tried not taking my tramadol to see if i can bare with the pain and no all i want to do is lay down all day.
advertisement

Comments

• nutcase007nnutcase007 United StatesPosts: 953

aortiz268 - I can relate to a lot of your symptoms including the bottom of your feet being numb.  I took severe whiplash years ago and had two cervical fusions (C6/C7 in 2007 and C3/C4 in 2014).  I never recovered from the 2014 fusion and now my neurosurgeon is planning a cervical myelogram for me later this month. 

When he performed the 2014 fusion, he also removed a lot of bone spurs at the level.  His thinking at the time was that the spurs were caused by the broken facet joint at the C3/C4 level.  I've now had MRIs, x-rays and bone scans and nothing has been found.  He said that he is fairly certain that I have bone spurs at C4/C5 and/or C5/C6 and the myelogram show reveal the bone spurs.  I'm suggesting that you discuss with your neurosurgeon maybe having a myelogram.      

• aortiz268aaortiz268 NEW YORKPosts: 2

aortiz268 - I can relate to a lot of your symptoms including the bottom of your feet being numb.  I took severe whiplash years ago and had two cervical fusions (C6/C7 in 2007 and C3/C4 in 2014).  I never recovered from the 2014 fusion and now my neurosurgeon is planning a cervical myelogram for me later this month. 

When he performed the 2014 fusion, he also removed a lot of bone spurs at the level.  His thinking at the time was that the spurs were caused by the broken facet joint at the C3/C4 level.  I've now had MRIs, x-rays and bone scans and nothing has been found.  He said that he is fairly certain that I have bone spurs at C4/C5 and/or C5/C6 and the myelogram show reveal the bone spurs.  I'm suggesting that you discuss with your neurosurgeon maybe having a myelogram.      

Since I don't have the shooting pain in the legs or the nerve pinching in the neck I was reading that they can do nerve block test to see if and which nerves are the problems

Most of my back pain is in the back it self it's hard to walk when your back hurts and having to constantly rub cream and take pills and do PT sucks will it ever end

• advertisement
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,509
    Aortiz268

We can't interpret MRI results, but I can tell you that stenosis was my problem and surgery to relieve it has started to relieve my shoulder blade pain.  I say started, but at 7 months post op it is almost gone.

From reading these forums, it does seem that some Drs don't take stenosis seriously as a cause of pain.  But if you think about it, pressure on the cervical spine can cause symptoms all over the body.

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

Sign In or Join Us to comment.