advertisement

In this Discussion

There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement
New members: Please read our Code of Conduct before submitting your first post.
Learn how to use the Veritas Health Forum: Take the System Tutorial

Hard time coping

Hi everyone. My name is Sara. I'm 37 years old, and three weeks ago I had my second spinal surgery - a TLIF-MIS spinal fusion at the L4/L5 vertebrae. My first spinal surgery was an emergency decompression in late 2014 after I developed complete Cauda Equina Syndrome (CES) from a "massive herniation" of the L4/L5 disc. At the time, the surgeon removed the disc fragments from the nerve bundle and put in windows in the adjacent vertebrae, but he left some of the undamaged disc portion in place. Apparently that may not have been the best idea, because after several "flare-ups" in the past year and a half, an MRI showed the disc had re-herniated and was as "massive" as before (in the words of my surgeon). Since there was basically no undamaged disc remaining, he opted to do a fusion. 

The surgery went off without a hitch, and I was home within 2 days. Overall, I'm healing well, and the recovery in many ways is easier than my first surgery (I lost feeling in one of my legs from the CES, and there was about a 2-week window where I didn't know if I would need a walker permanently). This time, though, I'm having a harder time dealing with the isolation and physical restrictions. My family is wonderful, but they don't really know how to handle the moods I've been getting in lately. I just thought it might help to meet others who are going through something similar. 
advertisement

Comments

• saramjssaramj TennesseePosts: 3
    Hi Kimmy. Thank you for responding, and thank you for the welcome. The moods are basically swings from okay to easily aggravated to unprovoked crying jags...Basically I feel like I'm losing my mind and I'm kinda acting like it, too.  :)  I know it's most likely the isolation and physical restrictions -- I've always been one to take care of things myself, and now I can't even wash my own clothes. Just frustrating. Fortunately, I'm off the meds -- I weaned myself pretty quickly, so I've been med-free for about 10 days. Pain is actually almost a non-issue; what little pain I do have at this point is nothing compared to what it's been in the past.
Sign In or Join Us to comment.