advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement
New members: Please read our Code of Conduct before submitting your first post.
Learn how to use the Veritas Health Forum: Take the System Tutorial

Coping after Spinal Surgery

Hi my name is Trey. As of today it has been a month since I had spinal surgery. I was originally diagnosed with spinal stenosis in 2010 and over the years it progressively got worse. My last MRI revealed I had also developed arthritis as well in my L4-L5 regions. After suffering many years with this condition surgery was the only option. I had decompressive lumbar laminectomy of my L4 and L5 with posterolateral fusion at L4-S1 with posterior segment instrumentation. The first few weeks were difficult but after I had my staples removed I did feel less restrictive. My question is since leaving the hospital I have not been able to sleep in my bed comfortably. I find it difficult to sleep on my side or back. Which means I don't get much sleep. I am also on strict instructions of no bending, lifting or twisting for three months. I am so depressed and bored and I am angry all the time. Is anyone else dealing with this during their recovery and if so how are you dealing with it?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,212
    hello dabba3000 !
    welcome to spine-health
    please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,212
    Hello.....
    It may be edit you to read the post...Recovery the Most Important Phase.

There are also monthly Surgery Buddies...that you may want to jump into.
    You can find by using search, upper right on page.

Please know you're not alone with your feelings....and not getting enough sleep can be, well in my case, crazy making and I was very irritable.
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• advertisement
  • Ellen625EEllen625 New Jersey, USPosts: 756
    Hi Trey,
    Can your doctor prescribe something to help you sleep? Getting enough sleep is an important part of your recovery.

I too have had feelings of depression, boredom and isolation. Sometimes you have to ask people to keep you company or just have a long chat on the phone. They often don't know what to do to help.
    I sometimes start crying for no reason. I think i am just frustrated with not feeling better sooner. I am 2.5.weeks post op from a microdiscectomy.  The more I do physically, even if it's just taking a walk, the better I  feel. You can also mention this to your doctor too. 

It may not seem like it, but it will get better!
    Hugs!
    Ellen

• Art1947AArt1947 Holywell, UKPosts: 105
    I find Baclofen helps me to sleep better and longer, Art1947
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.