advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
New members: Please read our Code of Conduct before submitting your first post.
Learn how to use the Veritas Health Forum: Take the System Tutorial

New Member Loss of L5 Disc Looking for others

Hi Everyone,

Have suffered from chronic pain for over 10 years in the lumbar area. Have tried everything from physical therapy, message therapy, chiropractor, acupuncture, yoga and I could go on and on.  I do not take pain meds because I have a poor family history of abuse (not me - my siblings).  Anyways, my last visit to the neuro he informed me that my L5 disc is now gone and it is bone on bone. Cannot sleep and having trouble working.  Going in soon for another Epidural hoping to at least reduce inflammation.
advertisement

Comments

• Wendy_TWWendy_T Long IslandPosts: 2
    Hi Kimmy72,

Thank you for your response.  The site is wonderful.  It is so great to reach out to people who can relate to what you are going through and the amount of information is amazing.  I did have luck with the first epidural but the pain I had at the point is gone and this is something very different (I think prior was the end of the disc and now I am learning about bone on bone).  I have seen a couple of docs one pushing surgery and the other not.  I was recently told to wait as long as I could stand it.  My biggest concern, besides the pain, is not being able to provide for my child and I take care of my Mom.  I am so afraid if I have the surgery and something goes wrong, it will have a serious ramifications for all of us. I just wish I could sleep - miss sleeping..the roaming around to get rid of the pain is the pitts.   How are you feeling with the fusion? Do you still battle with the pain? Can you function normally (work and such)?  I am so sorry to hear that it was more complicated then originally thought but i hope the surgery gave you the relief you needed. 
  • CJAnonCCJAnon United KingdomPosts: 1
    Hi Wendy, when the neuro says your disc is 'gone' does he mean it's degenerated? I was diagnosed with this between L4&5 two years ago after suffering for over a year with lower back pain that I just couldn't shift. It affects certain movements and disrupts my sleep terribly, and I can't sit or stand still for any length of time. After Chiro, Physio etc with no success I was finally referred to a consultant and had the scans etc he showed me where the problem was. He offered me a spinal fusion - where they fuse the two vertebrae either side of the degenerated disc to stabalise it (and sometimes remove the disc I think). I wonder if this could be an option for you? Unless the bone has already fused, as that can happen. Anyway, hope this may be of some help. You're not alone. Best wishes from a little island across the seas... CJ
  • advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.