advertisement

In this Discussion

There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
New members: Please read our Code of Conduct before submitting your first post.
Learn how to use the Veritas Health Forum: Take the System Tutorial

Hi, I'm new here. Status-post spinal surgery.

Hi, I'm Carol, and I'm glad to have found this forum!  I had my Posterior Fusion on May 11.  I spent three days in the hospital, and then I was transferred down to the Rehab section for another week.  I'm 59, so, I had a hard time recovering from the surgery.  Shortly after, I began having what I thought were spasms, while in bed sleeping.  It would wake me suddenly, and I would yell out.  Other than that, things were going  pretty well until I started having problems turning in bed, and upon waking, getting out of bed I'd have this horrible pain when ever I moved a certain way.  It felt like my hip was dislocated on the right side.  That has been going on for a while.  I called the surgeon, and the nurse said that it sounded normal recovery issues, but I knew something was very wrong.  She had me take the anti-inflammatory, which made me have very bad heartburn.  I called back, and she suggested I go to the  ER if I felt things were really bad.  I did so, and they saw how I could barely get off the table, and needed two people to help me.  They did an x-ray of my hip and the NP said my hip was fine, it was my back.  Lumbar stenosis leading to my hip.  Next, I went back to the doctor, and he basically said it was part of my recovery.  Although, he did mention maybe it had to do with my sacroiliac.  He ordered a muscle relaxer, which did not do anything for me.  Meanwhile it has been getting worse and worse, whereby when I finally am able to get out of bed with the walker, I can barely walk for about an hour, so I have to take a pain pill and sit for a while, and then I am okay.  Unless I lay down again.  So I researched this, and found this site where all kinds of information was given about what I believe is my condition.  Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction.  So, I decided I'd do everything I could to take the anti-inflammatory, which really did help with the inflammation.  After speaking with the pharmacist, I am taking my anti-inflammatory and stomach medication right when I get up, and then the anti-inflammatory along with my other medicines.  I am seeing the surgeon on July 12.  So, I'm  glad for the internet and sites like this, that help patients tremendously.  Because, we know our own bodies, and can tell when something is really wrong.  One more thing is that this condition can occur after having a fusion like I did.  Thank you!
advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 9,699
    hello carolem

please click on the link for useful information
    welcome to spine-health

Liz, 

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
Sign In or Join Us to comment.