advertisement
advertisement

Post L5/S1 revision discectomy radicular pain.

I am 12 days post revision surgery for a herniated disc at L5/S1.  Original surgery was 9/29/15 and I believe I re-herniated about a month later.   I never had any major pain but had some pain and weakness in my left leg that had returned.  Finally in January had another MRI that showed the reherniation.  After a few months of trying to figure out what to do I decided to have the revision surgery - and was thankful the Dr did not suggest a fusion.   I had the surgery on 6/28 and all went well (per the Dr).  I came home with numb areas on my
left leg and the outside of my left foot was numb.  The numbness has improved some, now it seems pretty isolated to the pinky toe.  But I have had a few days with a decent amount of pain down the leg.  I've felt it some since coming home and at times its gotten worse. Worse than it was before going in for the surgery.   I am really hoping its just the nerve reacting to the trauma and change of the surgery but I'm a little freaked.  I go tomorrow for my post-op follow up, so hoping for some reassurance from the PA.  
advertisement

Comments

• jsquaredjjsquared North TexasPosts: 7
    Saw the PA yesterday and she is not overly concerned.  Said it is good that the pain is coming and going and I could take some NSAIDs to help lower the swelling and icing would help.  The nerve is likely (and hopefully) just really angry and will take some time to heal.  I go back in 4 weeks and we will re-evaluate at that point.  
  • hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 809
    edited 07/12/2016 - 5:50 PM

HELLO...

Nerve healing is a strange and unpredictable process... sometimes it has to get worse before it can get better... and the healing process is slower than snails.   Hang in there I'm sure your PA is correct.  12 days post-op is still early days... with more roller coaster ups and downs to come.

• advertisement
  • jsquaredjjsquared North TexasPosts: 7
    Thanks!! I keep telling myself this but am a little gun-shy after reherniateding last time. 
  • AWMAAWM NebraskaPosts: 70
    hvills is correct.  Nerve healing is SLOW and can be painful.  I have been there, and still kind of there.  I am not trying to discourage you, but I had nerve pain for several months after my surgery.  It was not as bad as before surgery, and it did eventually get better.  Hang in there.  Yours will get better too.
  • hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 809
    edited 07/13/2016 - 1:39 AM

jsquared...

Keep to the no BLT rules... and you should be able to avoid a reherniation.   Also once you are back to "normal" you should also practice being "kind to your back" for the rest of your life.  That means no heavy lifting... no bone jarring or stressfull activities (running, baskeball, baseball, etc...).  Your disc at L5-S1 is now a fraction of what it once was with your doctor having whacked away at it now twice... and if you don't be kind to your back you will end up under the knife for a third time... but most likely for fusion.  Trust me... I learned the hard way about not being kind to your back.

• advertisement
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.