advertisement
advertisement

c2 to t2 spinal fusion in 2012, now t10 to illeum fusion Aug 2. And I am terrified.

To say I'm scared is an understatement. I had C2 to t2 fusion with instumentation in May 2012 to correct spinal stenosis and some degenerative issues. I did end up worse off after the procedure with an esphogeal tear that had to be left to heal naturally and an Asia 4 D spinal cord injury. I'm thankful I can function at the level I do. I work full time in the insurance industry and live independently. I'm not able to drive any longer, as I can't turn my head side to side so i wall or take the bus.I was initially using a wheeled walker but was able to graduate to just a cane. I've worked hard to find ways to compensate for my shortcomings  like numb hands and fingers, nerve pain explosions, migraines, weakness in arms and legs. I was finding a way to cope and make the best of a not so best outcome. 
 Then in Feb of 2016 I received my usual lower back injection for an l4,l5 disc herniation. I've been having them.done for about a year or more with great results. The one in Feb  failed after 1 mo. I had a 2nd go and it failed after 2 weeks. I had an mri and was referred to the spine surg.(a completely different Dr.than my cervical surg) He took x-rays of my back and found scoliosis in addition to stenosis are various levels. They scheduled the surgery for Aug 2nd. The surgery will be 8 to 10 hrs.I can't remember all the procedures other than the fusion but He will be cleaning up the spurs and degenerated areas, straightening out my spine and using cadaver bone to shore it up, then rods and screws to keep it in place. 
I don't know how I'll be able to manage with so much hardware. C2 to T2, then T10 to the illeum, plus I have a knee replacement. Is there anyone out there been thru something similar? If yes please share your experience. 
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.