advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Back spasms

Hi I have recently increased my walking to 1 mile , past 3 days. And last night and now I am having severe spasms on the left side of my mid back. I had a fusion at L4 L 5 on 6/10. Any thoughts , has this happened to anyone else? Thanks Helen
advertisement

Comments

• Thanks Kimmy for your reply
  • hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 995

Helen

I'm 18 months post-op from L5-S1 fusion and I still sometimes get painful knots in my back muscles when I walk.  As per my doctor when he cuts you back muscles to access your spine in a PLIF he said some percentage of the muscle tissue never really heals like new... so it can be prone to such knots or spasms.  I used to get them a lot worse and more frequently when walking prior to one year post-op... but now not so much.  Oddly enough like you it was/is most frequently on my left side... and about mid level in my back... despite my pre-surgery sciatica being on my right butt area and down my right leg. Go figure...

Harry - 65 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
  • advertisement
  • Thanks Harry! 
  • ShivayaSShivaya Quebec, CanadaPosts: 35
    I know this is a bit old but I am now 16 days post laminectomy/discectomy at l4/l5 and I am having severe back spasms and have been for about 5 days now. I am on day 2 of cyclobenzaprine and can barely walk until i take anti-inflammatories in the morning.  Obviously I am very concerned about having reherniated. Seeing the n/s again on wednesday - we will see what he has to say.
  • AMWoodyAMWoody SurreyPosts: 107
    I am 4 months post discectomy L4/5 and physio and exercise seems to aggravate me. So much so that I have stopped for a while. I felt weak after it and had two major pains that felt disc related. One was while loading the dishwasher and one just bending over. It is a rollercoaster but this forum has made me realise that we may need to push through the pain of physio slightly if we are to get better x
  • advertisement
  • smartens162smartens162 Manitoba, CanadaPosts: 448
    I agree AMWoody, some 'discomfort' is necessary to move ahead.  I think we get so fearful of pain having gone what we've gone through, that we forget that old saying 'no pain, no gain'.  Of course, this is a delicate balance post-surgery.  But I think we have to trust the professionals a little more than we do, when they are working with us to get through to the other side of recovery.
  • AMWoodyAMWoody SurreyPosts: 107
    It has been one of the hardest years of my life and has caused my body great trauma. Our Spine is our core and that is why I believe we feel so low when it does not work properly..
    I'll keep you guys in the loop as to what thr n/s says tomorrow. I hope you guys are right.
    He brushed me off. He had the nurse take my staples out and had a very "whatever" attitude about my back pain. He said it would go away wheb I start my exercises and as long as I don't have leg lain we have nothing to worry about. I then told him I have leg pain and he said that would also go away. That's the cost of free healthcare. You get what you get...
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.