advertisement
advertisement

for those of you with daily chronic pain..

foreverpain123foreverpain123 Alberta, CanadaPosts: 25
edited 08/06/2016 - 10:09 PM in Chronic Pain
How do you manage day to day life while being in constant pain? Do you get what you have to get done, done and suffer at the end of it or manage things when you can, if at all.

I try to avoid relying on meds to get me through the days pain free. I feel like my life responsibilities are stacking up but I'm in far to much pain to care. Tell me I'm not the only one 
advertisement

Comments

• I used to fight through the pain everyday.  Now I have given in and I take pain meds.  Best decision I ever made.  I feel better, and I enjoy doing things I couldn't before.  I still have bad days but I can also do some of the things I want to do. Do I rely on pain meds to much, I don't think so.  They are a tool that have given my life back to me in some measure. 

You just get to the point where you are tired of hurting all the time. 
    Dmo
  • In the beginning I would move constantly. That caused more pain. Then I went way over to the other side & did almost nothing,thinking it would calm it down. That was even worse. So now if I don't move I get beyond restless. My plan of action every day is to take it just that, day by day. I do things very slowly,taking many breaks in between. I make myself go for a mile walk & try to do 1 load of laundry,maybe more,and 1 load of dishes. I try to sweep, vacuum, or wash the floors as my body can tolerate it. If I feel it's too much,I remember to stop & try later. 

I was so behind in chores too. When I finally got around to them I took 1 thing at a time & as fast/slow as I could do it. No condemnation! It feels great just doing small amounts knowing I accomplished it!
  • advertisement
  • foreverpain123foreverpain123 Alberta, CanadaPosts: 25
    Dmo,

Yea I hear that. Some days I just get tired of hurting all day everyday. The pain is always there and so bad. Don't get me wrong I'll take a pain killer when it gets to be to much. Them suckers have saved me a load of agony for a period of time. Ill take what I can get. I just wish there were a more "permanent" solution to back issues not just ways to manage it
    Joyful.

Oh my I couldn't imagine walking a mile. I'd be dying in pain. Go you for being so motivated!! 

I've learned to take it day by day some days I get lots done some days I don't do anything. Its all aboit balance as they say ;)
  • When I hear others say they don't take their pain meds until they "just have to" I hear myself. I also hear my doctor telling me that is a classic example of abusing pain meds and grounds for terminating treatment. I always thought it best to avoid opiate meds if you didn't want to become addicted. I also thought  pee test in the pain management contract was to determine if I was taking meds more often than prescribed. It never occurred to me that I would be considered a "seller" if they didn't show in my system. If that was fully explained to me, I either missed it entirely or it actually wasn't stated - just included in the paperwork. Either way, I now know if I want to maintain the ability to have medication, I can no longer make my own decision on when I do or don't want to take them. 
  • advertisement
  • maehaleymaehaley PennsylvaniaPosts: 254
    I do rely on my pain meds to help me get through the day. I also take things one day at a time because I never know if its going to be a good day or a bad day. I have 3 children and a full time job so you can imagine the amount of housework that comes along with that! I do what I can and if stuff does not get done then that is ok! Some days I feel accomplished if I just manage to get the laundry done! If I can do more then great, but if not I know that it is ok. Hang in there!

LarryRie said:
    When I hear others say they don't take their pain meds until they "just have to" I hear myself. I also hear my doctor telling me that is a classic example of abusing pain meds and grounds for terminating treatment. I always thought it best to avoid opiate meds if you didn't want to become addicted. I also thought  pee test in the pain management contract was to determine if I was taking meds more often than prescribed. It never occurred to me that I would be considered a "seller" if they didn't show in my system. If that was fully explained to me, I either missed it entirely or it actually wasn't stated - just included in the paperwork. Either way, I now know if I want to maintain the ability to have medication, I can no longer make my own decision on when I do or don't want to take them. 

Im in canada and it doesnt work like that here. My doctor is fully aware that I dont take my pain meds everyday and he says that its ok that I take them as needed as I won't become dependent on them and even told me that if I needed something stronger that I wouldnt become an addict so hes not worried. Im not saying that should be how it is for everyone as again this is just my experience with my own doctor. I wasnt necessarily asking about whether or not I should take my pain meds. I was wondering how everyone individually handles lifes responsibilities day by day. 
    Awe maehaley I can just imagine your load!! I wish you more well wishes and pain free days then myself. I have 2 children of my own Im lucky enough to be able to stay home with them but there are days I feel bad cuz I cant take them out to a play center or something cuz if my toddler throws himself on the ground in a fit (which he usually does I cant even pick him up :(

Thank you for the insight ron. I shall read your article later this evening
  • guit30guit30 Abington,PaPosts: 14
    I am weary of being in pain every day. I have cervical and spinal stenosis, also have significant scoliosis, over 50% . My pain meds, are generic, and don't work well. I am grateful to have them. I can't sleep much. Think I will try to get some now.                                                  
  • nailladynnaillady Phoenix, AZPosts: 1
    According to reports I've read online and my doctor, we (people on pain meds) are going to lose some of our meds in less than a year. We've already lost the soma, that helped with the muscle spasms. The Obama care system is limiting the doctors abilities to help the people who really need the help. We are being grouped in with those who abuse or sell their meds. We really need to stand together and be heard. Many people are considering street drugs which will reduce our effectiveness in societies eyes. Personally I've had spinal surgeries and I have seven, yes 7,spinal disorders my pain meds finally have me stable. My doctor has worked hard to have the ability to help us, now they want to tie his hands. These people who are trying to limit the doctors ability to help their patients are not in the medical profession. I would really like to let them deal with my spinal issues for one week, then see how "easy" it is to be in my body. Each of us are uniquely designed and no one else can tell us how or what we are feeling. 
     We need to band together and be heard. Our doctors can do very little without our help in this regard. Please start asking others to join in this issue and be heard. We can't afford to lose the good doctors out there. Let's all speak up together. Thanks for reading this to the end. 
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.