advertisement
advertisement

L4 L5 bulging disc

fozzierach11ffozzierach11 U.K. Posts: 19
hi everyone I've just had my mri results back today after a long wait which says slight bulging disc L4L5 does anyone have any experience with this. I've had tingling and sciatica for the last 13 weeks. Because the tingling 6 weeks ago started in my upper body. After X-rays and bloods were don't they left the upper body. With more symptoms now I'm actually being referred to a neuro surgeon and having a brain scan to see if I have ms. Does a slight bulging disc caused this constant tingling and the pain seems to swap sides and isn't as often but the tingling has been non stop. I've tried every nerve painkiller to help it stop but the go today has said to take nothing as the strongest she can give me isn't helping at all it's just making me dizzy with headaches. Thanks 
advertisement

Comments

• Hi fozzierach11! I can relate to the doctors sending you off to a million other people to see if it can be this or that. I got into a merry-go-round of doctors because no one would just believe me that it was my neck.
    I was told I must have MS, Fibro, Lupus or another autoimmune disorder. The lymes disease even came up. I cannot remember all the blood work I had to go through. 
    Not saying that's what yours is,just letting you know where I stand.

My neck issues cause a whole mess of symptoms. And it affects my lumbar as well. I had an epidural in my cervical & it stopped my sciatica! My new primary said our bodies are intertwined & all the muscles are definitely affected when one part is suffering. I was told my posture is being changed because the muscles in my neck are making the muscles elsewhere constrict. 
    I know my lumbar herniations make nerve pains on both sides even though it's pressing on the right side. Oddly enough I only had left side pain for years before the right side started to periodically hurt. 

I really hope someone will help you get your pain down & will listen to you. If they rule out all other possibilities then hopefully they'll look at the spine & get you on the path of recovery! 

• joyful_in_sorrows said:
    Hi fozzierach11! I can relate to the doctors sending you off to a million other people to see if it can be this or that. I got into a merry-go-round of doctors because no one would just believe me that it was my neck.
    I was told I must have MS, Fibro, Lupus or another autoimmune disorder. The lymes disease even came up. I cannot remember all the blood work I had to go through. 
    Not saying that's what yours is,just letting you know where I stand.

My neck issues cause a whole mess of symptoms. And it affects my lumbar as well. I had an epidural in my cervical & it stopped my sciatica! My new primary said our bodies are intertwined & all the muscles are definitely affected when one part is suffering. I was told my posture is being changed because the muscles in my neck are making the muscles elsewhere constrict. 
    I know my lumbar herniations make nerve pains on both sides even though it's pressing on the right side. Oddly enough I only had left side pain for years before the right side started to periodically hurt. 

I really hope someone will help you get your pain down & will listen to you. If they rule out all other possibilities then hopefully they'll look at the spine & get you on the path of recovery! 
    Thanks for the reply :) the pain is intermittent so it's not that bad it's the constant tingling that's driving me crazy if I'm honest. She only thought of sending me for a neck X-ray because of where the tingling was but not an mri she thought I had the herniated disc in my neck and back but only referred me for the lumbar mri. Do I wait to see the neurologist and ask about having a neck o
  • advertisement
  • Ugh that tingling is really annoying. Like you want to just shake your limb awake.

I wonder if they're doing the xray first so they have a reason to get an MRI? Still is odd if she thinks there is an herniated disc there but won't order the test. I do think you're on the right path going with their plans. It may take some time but hopefully it'll get you the answers you desperately need!

• Ye exactly but it's just there annoying u 24/7. I honestly think it's down to referral costs that she won't send me for anything else tbh n is leaving me to now go to the neurologist x
  • MarWinMarWin OhioPosts: 654
    Between L4/5 is about where the sciatic nerve exits the spine, branches left and right and then down each leg. What you're feeling is the same as how I started. Initially I went to the ER for a Kidney Stone attack. They ran xray's to see if the stones would show up. Then they said "you have three lumbar bulging discs". I thought "that's why for the last 25 years I've had low back pain". Coincidentally, after they pointed out the bulges, I started getting sciatic symptoms. Intermittent for the first few months, and then BAM!!! 10+ on the symptoms and pain scale.

After about a year of suffering I went to a chiropractor who again took xrays, but this time of my entire spine, from cervical to pelvis. He showed me one hip was higher, rotated pelvis, compressing vertebrae, scoliosis, lowered shoulder. I stayed with chiro for about a year, but after about 6-7 months and $1000's I was feeling no relief. I became consumed with finding out "why" my spine was in such poor alignment. And as @joyful_in_sorrows discovered, I too discovered "our bodies are intertwined & all the muscles are definitely affected when one part is suffering. I was told my posture is being changed because the muscles in my neck are making the muscles elsewhere constrict." . To take that knowledge a step further I learned that muscle moves bone, so it was the muscle's I had to get working properly again.  

I only say this so you're aware that sciatica is a symptom that can be as a result of muscle inactivity and/or compensating movements from muscles not designed to move a particular bone. It's possible to apply that same thought process to a host of other chronic pains and further understand how they can all be interrelated:). 

Keep your head up. Stay involved. Educate. Be your own biggest advocate. 
  • advertisement
  • @MarWin that is exactly what I was just told by my pain management! He said my muscles are pulling my bone & it could cause a fracture in my spine. I've never heard this before! 
    Are you doing anything to help your muscles relax more & stop your bone from moving? 
  • I had a herniated disc at L4 L5. Before i knew that info I told my doctor that I'm feeling pain behind my knee and I think it's caused from a pinched nerve in my back, he said there aren't any nerves there.  Nobody knows you like you,  I tried PT chiropractors and nothing worked,  aftets weeks of him guessing, I had an MRI that showed a herniated disc and was told by the hospital I shouldn't need surgery. They have me an appointment with a neuro surgent and they day after MRI I was in the ER couldn't move my right foot. 4 days after my foot was tingling and went numbed by day of appointment.  The neuro surgery said I needed surgery right away and I did it.  Always get a second opinion, it took the hospital 4 different strong drugs to easy my pain, just so people could understand a pinched nerve is not like any other pain I have felt in my life.
  • Just picked up a text copy of my mri results can anyone help me understand them please? 
  • Clinical history: tingling sensation in lower limbs from hip downwards. Intermittent back pain. 
    MRI SPINE LUMBAR/SACRAL. 
    Mild loss of disc height and disc hydration is noted at L4/L5 & L5/S1 levels. 
    At L3/4 level, there is no evidence of disc protrusion   The central canal is normal in size. 
    At L4/5 level, mild disc bulge is noted. The central canal is normal in size. 
    At L5/S1 level, minor disc bulge is noted. The central canal is normal in size. Minor right foraminal stenosis is noted. 
    The vertebral bodies are normal in height. The vertebral alignment is normal. Normal conus. 

(My doctor just told me I had a slight bulge in L4/5 am I right in thinking its abit more then just that one ) 
  • smartens162smartens162 Manitoba, CanadaPosts: 361
    So, I'm not  a doctor, but from what I've seen on this forum before is that if your MRI describes things as 'minor' or 'mild', you could try some conservative treatments like physiotherapy for hopefully some relief.  I don't mean to minimize what you're feeling, I believe you when you say you are in a lot of pain.  But years ago, long before I ruptured my L5-S1, I suffered with bouts of severe sciatica, and although it sometimes took a while, I did get relief with massage therapy and chiropractic.  I currently go  to a physiotherapist who uses an osteopathic approach to treatment, very effective.  He works mostly with nerve pressure, some massage and mild chiropractic adjustments as needed.  While this therapy will not cure my ruptured disc, is does give me some relief from the symptoms for awhile.  I've heard of others who have had success with acupuncture as well, although it did not work for me.  If does take a bit of hit and miss with these things sometimes, don't give up trying different methods.  All the best to you!

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.